You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

METARs in sim scenario (both Sweatbox and local server)

Pavel Brodsky

Pavel Brodsky
Posted
Posted

Hello all,

I am struggling with a metar definition in ES. I have included four basic METARs in my scenario.txt:

METAR:LKPR 210600Z 26004KT 9999 SCT015 OVC041 07/06 Q1019 NOSIG
METAR:LKTB 210600Z 32003KT  9999 FEW015 BKN050 08/06 Q1018 NOSIG
METAR:LKMT 210600Z 23005KT 9999 BR OVC034 07/06 Q1017 TEMPO 5000 BR
METAR:LKKV 210600Z 25003KT  9999 BR FEW003 SCT030 05/04 Q1019

When I connect this scenario to Sweatbox server, real VATSIM metars are displayed in the Euroscope (ignoring those I have put in). What is worse, when I start a local EuroScopeFsdServer.exe, I have NO metars in my ES - not the real time, or the ones from the scenario file. Quite disturbing for the student, who has to imagine a metar in this case.

Any solution? Forcing own metars to the local server would be the best - we could practise for a certain runway even if the real weather does not permit operating in this direction.

Best regards,

Pavel Brodsky

Pavel Brodsky

VACC-CZ

• 1 month later...
Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

The METAR command is not intend to replace the METAR data sent by the servers. At the moment it is used just to change the visible weather in simulated tower view. Do not expect more from it.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

• 1 year later...
Mark Nelson 1266047
Posted
Posted

Are there any plans to enable EuroScope to display METARs from here when using the FSD-Server?

It isn't the number one feature request I have for the simulator, but it would be benefitial to practice runway configurations you might only encounter on a couple of days a year.

Another use case I can think of is low visibility and paractice runway changes due to ILS CAT.

Mark Nelson

Leader Pilot Training Department - vACC Switzerland

Deputy Leader ATC Training Department - vACC Switzerland

http://www.vacc.ch

1266047.png

Pavel Brodsky
Posted
Posted

Exactly! This holiday we have re-current training of our Czech ATCos and one subject is TWR LVP training - but we send them metars via chat, because we simulate weather degradation so that the student has to identify the moment when LVP should start... Metar changes based on scenario time would be AWESOME!

Pavel

Pavel Brodsky

VACC-CZ

Mark Nelson 1266047
Posted
Posted
but we send them metars via chat/quote]

So do we. Sending it by chat makes them examine it differently though, as if they'd receive it as they would on VATSIM.

Therefore hoping the feature will come in due time as well.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Nelson

Leader Pilot Training Department - vACC Switzerland

Deputy Leader ATC Training Department - vACC Switzerland

http://www.vacc.ch

1266047.png

• 3 weeks later...
Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

METAR definition is already part of the simulator as it is sent to FSX or P3D for weather display. I also updated the simulator to handle the wind part of the METAR when moving the planes. They are not yet part of the public version, but I will add them to the next one. The propagation of the METAR is then just a small thing.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer