You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Best way to deal with GND positions?

Martin Loxbo

Martin Loxbo
Posted
Posted

What is the best way to define GND positions to ensure that the DEP list and SIL are correctly populated with flights?

What we have done in Sweden is to create a "dummy" sector (at the north pole) and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign this to the GND position. This way the lists can be set up in the ESE and will fill with flights correctly. However, all the flights remain unconcerned, and the SIL doesn't show any entry times. Probably this is because the sector is just a dummy and is nowhere near the airport.

To correct this I decide to create more accurate GND sectors, I defined the sector coordinates for each GND position at ESSA and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned the ownership in the ESE file. I made the sectors extend from 0 ft up to 200 ft (AD elev 137). I did a test with this on Sweatbox and the departing flights now correctly show up as coordinated. Great! But then I tried this setup online, and the flights are still unconcerned. I tried raising the upper limit of the GND sector to 500 ft but it didn't have any effect.

So is there a way to have GND sectors working correctly?

Martin Loxbo

Director Sweden FIR

VATSIM Scandinavia

Martin Loxbo
Posted
Posted

I think I found the answer: The GND sectors have to be before any TWR/APP/CTR sector covering the airport in the ESE. If not, the other sectors will "take over".

Martin Loxbo

Director Sweden FIR

VATSIM Scandinavia

• 1 month later...
Jonas Kuster
Posted
Posted

Hi Martin

As far as I know, the determination of displayed flight plans in the DEP and SIL list is done via the DEPAPT/ARRAPT attribute in the sector description of the ESE file (http://www.euroscope.hu/mediawiki/index.php?title=ESE_Files_Description#The_Sector_Subsection). This allows you also to display flight plans depending on their arrival and destination airport in the lists of multiple controllers/stations. The determination of concerned flight plans relies on the 3D dimension of your owned sectors and if the aircraft are within that area.

Jonas Kuster
Network Supervisor
Leader Operation vACC Switzerland | vacc.ch @vaccswitzerland
GNG Support Team | gng.aero-nav.com
ES Plugin Developer | CCAMS

Martin Loxbo
Posted
Posted
The determination of concerned flight plans relies on the 3D dimension of your owned sectors and if the aircraft are within that area.

That's right, and my problem was the flight plans would still not show up as concerned. It turns out the reason is that ES will check the ESE for any sector covering that 3D space. So if a TWR or APP sector comes first in the ESE file and covers the airspace down to the ground, this will supersede the GND sector. The solution is to put the GND sector first in the file, to make sure it is read first by ES.

Martin Loxbo

Director Sweden FIR

VATSIM Scandinavia