You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Advance Bookings/Schedules For Gander Oceanic ?

Deacon Barry 952424

Deacon Barry 952424
Posted
Posted

Hello all,

I am a British pilot and controller, who regularly flies in and around Europe, but rarely ventures across the pond. As it's the 2-week school hols over here, I was thinking of doing a long-haul transatlantic in my new PMDG 747-400, something like EGLL-KLAX or KPHX. However, I would only do it if there was a guarantee that an Oceanic controller would be online.

I am curious, is there some sort of advance booking calendar for Gander (I understand it's Matt Horan that does Gander Oceanic the most), so I could pick a day to fly where I'll definitely get Oceanic ATC.

Any information, or perhaps times to fly where I'm more likely to get control than others, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Matthew Horan 901577
Posted
Posted

Hi Jeff,

I am pretty regular with logging in; I devote time to my domestic FIRs during the week, and Oceanic during the weekends. You may see Gander on a few times this week and the next during the evening, as we are training some new controllers.

This weekend coming up will most likely see me online, too. Real world commitments might keep me away Sunday, but Saturday from 1500Z-2000Z, excellent chance of getting full coverage across the pond

We've never utilised a booking system, although I could probably do up something simple when I re-do the ZQX Oceanic website. Just a quick note of "Gander'll be on this Saturday, 15-2000z"

Hope this helps, and feel free to send me a message if you catch me online at another position!

Matthew

Deacon Barry 952424
Posted
Posted

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply, I'll try and get online at the times you suggested.

I know other pilots do Transatlantics without Oceanic, but to me it just seems a bit pointless unless you know that an Oceanic position will be online.

Thanks,

Jeff

Matthew Horan 901577
Posted
Posted

Just a note..

Gander North and South Radio are both online right now - will be so for a few more hours, for those interested!