You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vPilot 2.0 - My Wish List

Andrew Morkunas

Andrew Morkunas
Posted
Posted

Please read Ross' thread "UPCOMING CHANGES TO VPILOT, FEEDBACK REQUESTED" first so we do not duplicate what he has already addressed.

Incoming messages box - all messages: system, error and text chat appear in the same message box. During an event I get 'a lot' of model matching error messages and my text chat with a controller gets lost in the clutter of error and system messages. A separate message box for text and system/error messages would keep text chat is a clean thread.

Using EuroScope's proxy server, vPilot and FSX/P3D you can set up a tower view however vPilot and EuroScope have to be on the same machine. vPilot has a 'Local Proxy' server connection option in the server selection drop down. An ability to enter an IP address would allow vPilot to connect to any server. VRC has this ability using the 'myservers.txt' configuration file.

Andrew Morkunas

spacer.png

Twitch: padre_andrew ATC Simulations

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Incoming messages box - all messages: system, error and text chat appear in the same message box. During an event I get 'a lot' of model matching error messages and my text chat with a controller gets lost in the clutter of error and system messages. A separate message box for text and system/error messages would keep text chat is a clean thread.

The right way to solve that issue is to fix your model matching config. Those errors aren't supposed to be there. If you weren't getting them, then you wouldn't need a separate window for system messages, because system messages are very few and far between (almost non-existent) when things are set up right.

This is exactly the main issue I'm addressing in vPilot 2.0 ... many users have their model matching set up wrong and just live with the error messages.

Using EuroScope's proxy server, vPilot and FSX/P3D you can set up a tower view however vPilot and EuroScope have to be on the same machine. vPilot has a 'Local Proxy' server connection option in the server selection drop down. An ability to enter an IP address would allow vPilot to connect to any server. VRC has this ability using the 'myservers.txt' configuration file.

That's already planned for the next version. Note that ES's proxy server doesn't support the full VATSIM protocol (specifically it seems to lack support for the ACCONFIG protocol) so you won't always get correct depiction of aircraft lights, landing gear, flaps, etc.

I'm planning to update vSTARS to add tower controller functionality, specifically a proxy server and ASDE-X views. Its proxy server will have full ACCONFIG protocol support, so it might be a better option for tower view. I'll also reach out to Gergely and see if he would be willing to implement the ACCONFIG protocol in the ES proxy server so that it'll work there as well.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
I'm planning to update vSTARS to add tower controller functionality.

So vSTARS will in a way function as the Terminal and Local parts of VRC while vERAM covers Enroute?

Does this mean that it might be possible in the future to have an ASDE-X view with a STARS display (in a new window) to simulate some cabs with radar capabilities?

I know it's a tad bit early to be asking... but could you maybe provide some details about your vSTARS plans :P

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Right, as I mentioned above I'm planning to add ASDE-X view capability to vSTARS. So you'll be able to have your main STARS display, plus open a separate ASDE-X display for a view of the ground at the airport. (You'll be able to open multiple ASDE-X views, one for each airport you're providing local services for.)

That's really it for my vSTARS plans.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I'd love to see support for FS9/FS2004, but I fear that this won't be an easy task to accomplish and out of the question.

Yeah, vPilot is fully dependent on the SimConnect architecture, which is FSX/P3D only.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

until someone figures out how to emulate a simconnect connection to fs9 via fsuipc or something lol

hey i can dream

• 8 months later...
Prithvisagar Shivaraman 12
Posted
Posted

Just curious, but is there any update on this? I would love to see vSTARS updated as it's a great program, and an ASDE-X functionality would make it much better.

Prithvi Shivaraman (YJ)

Facility Engineer

New York ARTCC

18.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Just curious, but is there any update on this? I would love to see vSTARS updated as it's a great program, and an ASDE-X functionality would make it much better.

No, I haven't done any work on vSTARS. Still need to get vPilot 2.0 out of beta. I've been busier than normal (and normal is quite busy!) lately so I haven't really done any VATSIM work for quite a while now.