You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

flat earth. Fell off.

Tim Roden 987596

Tim Roden 987596
Posted
Posted

Working with Alaska Radar site on Shemya Island is beyond long -180. I can't put anything out there. Tried a postive number to no avail. Then Noticed my drawings won't go past that line either.

Tim Roden

ZAN C3

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

What do you mean when you say your "drawings" won't go past that line?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Tim Roden 987596
Posted
Posted

Anything on the sector file past that line is not appearing in vERAM. Also you cannot scroll past that line.

Tim Roden

ZAN C3

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Please export your facility file and put it somewhere that I can download it, and I'll check it out.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Tim Roden 987596
Posted
Posted

Looks like this is a general vatsim problem. looked at our sector file from VRC and all of that information was on the other side of the world.

Tim Roden

ZAN C3

David Zhong
Posted
Posted

It's not specifically a VATSIM issue (but there is a related issue that is), but an issue with the map projection system. My understanding is that all of the controller clients to date treat lat/longs as a grid, which will fail at the 180th meridian and cause significant distortion near the poles. The workaround that New Zealand and Oakland Oceanic have been using is to have separate sector files for each side of the 180th meridian.

There is a related issue with FSD (the server software) that does not handle the 180th meridian when determining whether other clients are in range. The workaround for this is to set visibility points on either side of the 180th meridian.

David Zhong