You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

XSB X-Plane crash solution related to audio settings

Andrew Culver 1354600

Andrew Culver 1354600
Posted
Posted

I know this topic has been discussed in several other topics, but as they are spread around and require lots of searching to find, I thought I would put what I have learned into this new thread...

I am on a Mac, but I suspect this will be applicable to other platforms.

Mac 10.10.5 using XP10.45 build 104503 64-bit, XSB 1.3.1:

I had a reliably reproducible total X-Plane crash caused by changing VATSIM radio frequencies inflight. X_Palne's log.txt pointed firmly to XSB.

I made it go away by using ONLY default (built-in) audio under both OSX system settings and XSB audio settings.

I also test XSB audio before every flight, and if there is even the slightest hint of problem (sometimes the mic recording is poor, usually it is just fine, for example), I exit XP and try again -- no point spending all that time getting going on VATSIM only to disappear into thin air on initial climb when switching the radio from TWR to CTR.

As a composer I have quite a few different audio interfaces that work great with all my music software. But audio drivers and sound APIs tend to change rather quickly on all platforms. I suspect that XSB's audio code is somewhat out of date, using older, deprecated programming interfaces, and this is the root cause of many of it's instabilities.

So keep your audio settings for both your system and XSB as simple as it gets. And as soon as you open up XSB, before even connecting, go to Setup Audio and test your mic thoroughly. Much frustration can be avoided.

Cheers,

Andrew Culver

• 2 years later...
eric cohen 1434005
Posted
Posted

how can i check out xsb? and where do find its settings?

thank you if you reply.

Eric