You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Placement of Windows with Dual Monitors

Adrian Edwards 949520

Adrian Edwards 949520
Posted
Posted

Hey everyone, VRC is great. Just wondering how you guys with two monitors were specifically setting up the windows? Do you leave them in a set way or are you changing them based on arrivals, departures etc.? Thanks again.

Chris Makris
Posted
Posted

Adrian,

This depends on each user. Personally when I am as an APP controller On the second monitor I have the Flight Strip Bay and the Controller list\

As an area controller I don't use any strips just the Controllers List and aircraft list.

As I said it is completly user spesific Now I need a planner for the strips any takers?

Chris Makris

HvACC C3

Martin Georg 811874
Posted
Posted

Yep,

as APP and below, I have a 2-column stripbay at the bottom, the CL on the left hand side, and an arrangement of chat windows (between 4-8) to the right of it. When doing center I don´t us the strip bay yet, instead I use the additional space gained for more chat windows.

best regards,

Martin Georg

3500.png

Chris Makris
Posted
Posted

And something I forbgot to mention as a Center controller I have on the Second monitor some extra radar screens opens for taxi or vectoring in the big airports.

For example as an LGGG controller usually I would have a second window LGAV and any other airports needed

Chris Makris

HvACC C3

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

On Center, I generally have the main screen filling my primary monitor, with a small strip bay and one or more small secondary windows on a side monitor. I use the strip bay when on CTR in order to keep track of which approaches pilots request when flying into non-towered fields. I use the secondary displays to have a close-up view of the approach area to those fields. I recenter them on different fields as needed. If nobody is staffing the primary airport (KBOS), then I will keep a secondary window zoomed in on KBOS at all times so that I can easily provide DEL/GND/TWR services there.

When I'm on APP, it's pretty much the same thing.

When I'm on TWR, I keep my main display zoomed large enough to show the approach paths for the active runways, and I use a secondary window to zoom in on the taxiways and hold short areas in order to coordinate aircraft on the ground.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Mark Tomassoni 813617
Posted
Posted

Interesting, you guys mention that you have a close up view of the other major airports while working center. What do you do, open up VRC again but do not connect and zoom in to that field to get a closer look of the airport? Resize the wind into a smaller box?

Is there a way to connect again while working Center to see the other aircraft on the ground? I know double connections are not allowed.

Never thought of doing that.

Mark Tom[Mod - Happy Thoughts]oni

DATM KZID

Martin Georg 811874
Posted
Posted
What do you do,

Menu "File", option "New window". Creates a secondary, independant scope window.

best regards,

Martin Georg

3500.png

Mark Tomassoni 813617
Posted
Posted

Wow! Thats great. These other windows will be also connected live to see the traffic?

DATM KZID

Mark Tomassoni 813617
Posted
Posted

Disregard that last question, I found my answer, sorry

DATM KZID

Adrian Edwards 949520
Posted
Posted

I'm just wondering how much RAM/video memory opening up a second scope will use, thanks for the replies guys.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Interesting, you guys mention that you have a close up view of the other major airports while working center. What do you do, open up VRC again but do not connect and zoom in to that field to get a closer look of the airport? Resize the wind into a smaller box?

Is there a way to connect again while working Center to see the other aircraft on the ground? I know double connections are not allowed.

The ability to open multiple scope windows is one of the best features of VRC as well as the forthcoming version of ASRC. If you weren't aware of that feature, there are probably several other nice features you are missing. I suggest at least skimming the docomeentation:

http://www.metacraft.com/VRC/docs/

Adrian Edwards 949520
Posted
Posted

Just another comment here, another great thing about VRC is the better use of overrides/intercom with other controllers. The command can be inputted in about two seconds. Instead of [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming what other controllers are going to do because you don't have enough time to contact them, you can call them and figure out what's going on. Thanks again.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Adrian, I believe you can use dot commands to initiate ground-to-ground calls in ASRC as well.