You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Vpilot voice distorted, and unreadable.

Alvaro Galiana 1300216

Alvaro Galiana 1300216
Posted
Posted

Hello everyone!

After a long time I'm returning to Vatsim so I had to reinstall all the software to enjoy it. However, I have a problem with vpilot.

When I calibrate my mic, I do all the steps, but when I hear the playback my voice sounds completely distorted and the Squelch ranges form 40 to 400 depending on the settings I have tried. I have searched the forums and I have tried changing the audio output and input devices, lowering the volume, disabling the VHF voice, and I have tested my voice online with ATC with no success as the controller was unable to understand anything. I have done so with both my vpilot and FSX on admin mode. I have finally tried the mic with the Windows voice recorder with no problems at all so my headset seems to be working just fine.

So, after all this, does anyone could help me? Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Álvaro

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

most common cause is background noise. your sound recorder can handle background noise without a problem, but the voice codec the network uses cannot.

make sure to also check what happens between directsound and wave if they are available in your clients settings

• 2 weeks later...
Alvaro Galiana 1300216
Posted
Posted

Well Thank you for the help, but unfortunately the problem is still there, I think I'll try with another mic, or another pilot client. Thank you anyway!

• 4 months later...
Jason Adriaan 1274456
Posted
Posted

I've currently got the exact same issue after getting a new headset. Works perfectly on TeamSpeak etc. But Vpilot is totally unreadable.

Kind Regards

Jason Adriaan

CID 1274456 P4/I3

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Thoughts based on most common reports of this problem:

1. Have you double or triple checked that you set up the correct sound device in vPilot. Many reports of bad quality and then folks realize they accidentally had the wrong sound device selected.

2. Did you calibrate your mic?

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Jason Adriaan 1274456
Posted
Posted
Thoughts based on most common reports of this problem:

1. Have you double or triple checked that you set up the correct sound device in vPilot. Many reports of bad quality and then folks realize they accidentally had the wrong sound device selected.

2. Did you calibrate your mic?

Yep tried all of that multiple times ...

Kind Regards

Jason Adriaan

CID 1274456 P4/I3

Jason Adriaan 1274456
Posted
Posted

PROBLEM SOLVED:

Seems to be a Windows 10 issue.

To fix low and distorted microphone voice recording on Windows 10:

1. Right click on the Sound icon on your bottom right.

2. Click on Recording devices

3. Right click on the microphone.

4. Click on the Properties

5. Click on the "Advanced" tab

6. Uncheck the "Enable audio enhancements" and "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" check boxes

7. Click 'Ok'

Kind Regards

Jason Adriaan

CID 1274456 P4/I3

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Thanks for posting the fix, Jason. Sounds like a cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ic case of Windows thinking it knows what the user wants.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC