You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Problems: server list retrieval and version check

Javier Larroulet

Javier Larroulet
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Everytime I fire up VRC, I get an error dialog that says:

ERROR

Could not retrieve server list from network. Using the cached server list and user-defined servers.

After clicking OK, the program tries to check with the website wether there is an updated version, to which I get:

Error! version check failed! HTTP error. (in red)

I have never had that problem with ASRC so I don't think it's a problem with my ISP. There's nothing that blocks ports (firewall/router/etc) so I'm quite confused. I thought it was due to yesterday's issue of the server sending the 100K emails but today the problem persists.

I have to say, though, that besides from that couple of issues, the program connects to the network and I'm able to see and work with traffic

any thoughts?

Javier Larroulet (C3) - Chile vACC

18.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Since you are getting the problem with both the version check and the server list download, which both use very different servers, I'd say it's definitely a problem with blocked ports, firewall, anti-virus, anti-spam, or a web proxy.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Javier Larroulet
Posted
Posted

/me is quite confused

Considering that I do not use a firewall and I'm not behind a router I didn't expect this to happen. My e-mail antispam is running on the server side so shouldn't be the issue here and since I have a direct internet connection, the web proxy doesn't apply

All I had left to check is the anti-virus. I'm running NOD32 and adding VRC.exe to the exclusion list on IMON (the internet monitor) did half of the trick: the version check now performs correctly, although the server list retrieval still fails. HTTP port is open so the list should be received fine (as is on ASRC)

any more thoughts?

Javier Larroulet (C3) - Chile vACC

18.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Nope, no other thoughts. Both the version check and the server download use the same port and protocol, just different servers. The version check comes from my server (metacraft.com) and the server download comes from the vatsim data servers. Note that one of several data servers is chosen at random for the server list download, so if you have to enable access to certain servers, you might have to do it multiple times.

I'd try getting rid of (disabling entirely) NOD32 ... I know it has caused others problems.

Ian Broadbent 920471
Posted
Posted

I have a similar issue I can download the server list on ASRC but not VRC. The version check works ok for me. Tried disabling the AVG antivirus software and firewall too but it does not work.

I had this problem with SB3 too but that works ok now!

Cheers

Ian

Tom Meyer 944876
Posted
Posted

Just wanted to throw in that I had problems with NOD32 and VRC as well. Deleted NOD32, and I don't have a problem anymore.

Gareth Williams 840232
Posted
Posted

Same problem here with the server list.

On first run of VRC I got a dialog from the windows firewall asking for permission for VRC, which I granted. However, VRC still always fails when trying to get the server list but always succeeds when doing a version check.

XP Pro

Windows Firewall (VRC listed as exception)

AVG Anti-Virus

(As others have reported I have had no problem with ASRC in this regard)

Regards,

Gareth

Thomas Street 880054
Posted
Posted

I downloaded Servinfo and "Exported IPPADR.txt" to the main VRC folder, as I did with ASRC. This solved the problem on both sites, though I believe the fault lies with the intial installation then running it without connecting to the internet. Just an idea.

Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

VRC does not use ipaddr.txt. The file VRC uses to load custom servers is myservers.txt.

Thomas Street 880054
Posted
Posted

Hi, Ross, fantastic program by the way. Perhaps it was just a coincidence then. At least last night I managed to receive voice and that is all I did. Also I was initially putting the voice channel, rw.liveatc.net, in the wrong box as there is a reference to the last two boxes being optional. Still. that's the excitement of getting software to work. Thanks again for VRC.

Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.