You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Loosing Connection To Voice Channel

Ciaran Breen

Ciaran Breen
Posted
Posted

Hello First Post on the forums. So ive been having this issue for a while now but its only really gotten worse since I have started controlling. So for the last Month now I have been controlling at Dublin and I keep missing Aircraft transmitting and no its not me not listening but this issue getting more and more annoying it doesn't only happening when controlling it happenes when im flying if don't speak or say anything while flying or controlling on a freq for more than 5 or so minutes it will just cut out. I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix it?

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

sounds like a port timing out. simply port forward UDP port 3290 on your router by setting up port forwarding.

Ciaran Breen
Posted
Posted

I have done this but still happening

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
I have done this but still happening

Can you post a screenshot of your router's configuration page that shows the port forwarding?

Ciaran Breen
Posted
Posted
http://imgur.com/a/Q5RvN <--- That shows Both the port forwarding and being set to my PC ip address

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

What's the column label for the two IP/port entries? "Destination" and "source" or something along those lines? [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming so, seems fine. If for some reason the controller client isn't able to bind to UDP port 3290 on your PC for receiving, it will instead (I believe) allow the O/S to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign a random number instead. If this is happening, obviously your port forwarding rule won't apply.

Try going to the web interface for the voice server you're using, e.g. http://rw.liveatc.net:18009/zny_ga?opts=-D (adjusting 'rw.liveatc.net' for whichever voice server you're using and 'zny_ga' for the voice room name you've selected in your controller client). When you activate the voice room, you can see which voice port the client has told the server you're using. For example, right now, the above URL shows:

user 2 name = "ABE_S_APP (1335097)", address = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:46103

From that, you can deduce that ABE_S_APP's client is receiving voice on port 46103 rather than the typical 3290.

If that's the case (or even if you can't figure out why port forwarding doesn't work), you can try looking for a "UPnP Timeout" value in your router's configuration and hopefully be able to increase it.

Johnny Coughlan
Posted
Posted

To add to Ciraran post, this issue effects myself also and I've seen the same issue being brought up in other local division forums.

The voice channel does not disconnect, and only happens under certain circomestances.

E.g: I log on, talk to XYZ planes for X amount of time, then traffic levels die down and voice comms are quiet for X amount of time, then traffic X loads up, files an FP and calls for clearance only I don't hear anything, no mix click, static or voice.

Though when I just tap or press my PTT all seems to be well again.

My router, ISP has not changed and I've never had this problem before, as I said it only happens to me after a period of 'dead air'. A simple press of the PTT seems to fix it only it just a little annoying.

Lindsey Wiebe 1101951
Posted
Posted

Could this be a USB headset you're using? Perhaps Windows is powering down the USB port. Search for Windows USB port power management. You can switch it some how to always keep them powered on.

Mr.

VATSIM P2

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Could this be a USB headset you're using? Perhaps Windows is powering down the USB port. Search for Windows USB port power management. You can switch it some how to always keep them powered on.

Good thought, but I'm reasonably certain that if that were the case, then pressing your PTT key would not wake it up again.

Definitely sounds like the cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ic UDP port timeout problem. Pressing PTT causes voice data packets to be transmitted, thus re-opening the port in the router.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC