You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

TWRTrainer Airport files

Bruce Carson

Bruce Carson
Posted
Posted

I've been using tower trainer to develop training scenarios .I Have the TWRTrainer airport file from my traffic manager. It is very basic and only has a few of the major taxi ways. I want to add more taxiways and parking spots. I have most of this working, however I am having a laborious time getting the new taxiways to 'intersect'. I understand that I have to specify a common intersection point on any two taxiways/runways that would intersect ( can't just draw a start/end point and have TWRTrainer figure out the lat /lon where they cross... hint).

I am using VRC and the Sector file. I use the ctrl-alt-shift dblRight Click method to get the lat lon points for when I want my taxiways, however it does not seem to get 'close' enough to the existing entries to have a successful intersection.

Two questions:

1. Is there a way to allow comments ( semi-colon delimited to the right of a line so I could annotate the line as being intersection of C or B

2. Is there some mapping software that I could use to 'show' the existing runway/taxiway lines on the screen ( VRC or other ) that would give me a 'close enough' rendering so I could see what is actually there(or some other tool to draw the lines and capture lat/lon points, or have VRC draw a 'line' between two successive ctrl-alt-shift clicks that could be used to show the actual paths.)

Controller, Los Angeles ARTCC

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
( can't just draw a start/end point and have TWRTrainer figure out the lat /lon where they cross... hint).

TWRTrainer was written in VB6, which I haven't used in over 10 years, I don't even have the compiler software any more. So the chances of me making any updates to TWRTrainer are about as good as me winning the lottery next week. (And I don't play the lottery ...)

I am using VRC and the Sector file. I use the ctrl-alt-shift dblRight Click method to get the lat lon points for when I want my taxiways, however it does not seem to get 'close' enough to the existing entries to have a successful intersection.

Strange ... not sure why you would be having that problem. I used that method to create several airport files and never had a problem.

Note that you can just use the exact same point definition in each taxiway/runway definition. That way you can be 100% certain the points are "close enough", because you can't get any closer than coincident.

1. Is there a way to allow comments ( semi-colon delimited to the right of a line so I could annotate the line as being intersection of C or B

No, the comment character has to be the first character on the line. You can put the comment on the line immediately preceding the line that defines the intersection.

2. Is there some mapping software that I could use to 'show' the existing runway/taxiway lines on the screen ( VRC or other ) that would give me a 'close enough' rendering so I could see what is actually there(or some other tool to draw the lines and capture lat/lon points, or have VRC draw a 'line' between two successive ctrl-alt-shift clicks that could be used to show the actual paths.)

There's no way to do this with VRC, and there's no program that I'm aware of that would provide this functionality.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC