You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Out of video memory

Paul Campbell 907200

Paul Campbell 907200
Posted
Posted

When opening several windows I get "Out of video memory, program will not exit."

Its the only program I have EVER seen that does this. That includes having Fireworks AND Photoshop open with 5 or 6 active projects. Which suggests there is a better way to utilise the video memory.

Just letting you know it's a little limited and volatile on lesser video hardware.

Maybe some form of safety mechanism or recovery mechanism, so it can...

a) say, "You really don't have the memory to open a new window, are you sure you want to proceed?"

b) say, "Ooops, when I tried to open that window the program ran out of video memory, the new window has been cancelled."

Paul

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

How much video RAM do you have? VRC doesn't need much ... at all.

I'm not too concerned about handling this case gracefully ... you won't be able to "proceed" without the required resources, anyway.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Paul Campbell 907200
Posted
Posted

32Mb from an SiS650 (shared memory).

I think I'll have to start running VRC on my main PC, rather than on my laptop, then I'll have 256Mb video RAM.

... if it doesn't open the new window, then there is still enough resources. Of course that [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umes you can check first if there is enough or cancel and recover after the request has been denied by the OS.

Paul

Michael Catalfamo 875749
Posted
Posted

SiS650... heh. I have that same card and I have the same problems, except it seems to be magnified on my end. At times, especially when loading the A90 video map, simply opening VRC makes that dreaded message appear. It's nearly impossible to open a new window when working traffic (I've only had it work once or twice). This card doesn't even work with FS without updated drivers, but I can't install updated drivers as they caused some nasty problems with ASRC. I don't know if the same would happen with VRC...

I think it's time for me to invest in a different card unless someone knows a trick that I don't.

Mike Catalfamo

ZBW ARTCC I1 & Events Group Member

2636.png

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

Yikes! I think I have video cards from 1996 that have more memory than that.

Perhaps it's more of a driver issue.