You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Voice quality

Thomas Derbyshire

Thomas Derbyshire
Posted
Posted

Let me start by saying I've only truly committed to VATSIM during the last 3 months so I'm very much a newbie. One complaint I see time and again is the quality of voice transmissions and I do have this concern as well. Half the time I can't understand a word anyone is saying and sometimes even the controllers readability is low. Last night I was trying to talk to EGCC Tower and in the end asked for text it was that bad.

About 2 weeks ago I signed upto Pilot Edge. I must say I'm quite impressed with the overall setup albeit you are geographically contained. However the biggest plus is the quality of the transmission. Everyone I hear, controllers and pilots are crystal clear.

This leads me to believe it isn't the pilots/controllers mic at all but more to do with the platform/technology VATSIM utilises for voice communication. So my question is how come VATSIM is so bad and are there any plans to improve? Seems to me the need to talk to each other over the mic is severely hampered by the quality of the audio but this is also the key ingredient.

Thanks

Thomas

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

network uses an older voice codec. as far as updating that, lots of other things need to happen before that

Thomas Derbyshire
Posted
Posted

Understood, seems to me that has to be a priority? [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume money is a factor considering its a free service.

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

Welcome to VATSIM, where compability with FS95 is more important than updating the voice codec

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Was everyone (or a large majority) of the people on frequency asking for repeats and/or instructions via text? If yes, perhaps there was an issue on the controller's side. If no... perhaps the problem was between your chair and your headset/speaker.

Yes, the codec used by the RogerWilco voice servers isn't the best available today. No, it hasn't made all communications unintelligible for everyone.

Johnny Coughlan
Posted
Posted
perhaps the problem was between your chair and your headset/speaker.

Yes, the codec used by the RogerWilco voice servers isn't the best available today. No, it hasn't made all communications unintelligible for everyone.

You sound like a p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]enger on the titanic convinced its not sinking .

It is outdated tech, fair enough if it doesn't get updated for what ever reason we'll Just have to get on and live with it but these kind of responses to people who clearly are new and are confused as to why the quality is so bad don't help when people tow the party line and try convince the problem is on their end.

Lindsey Wiebe 1101951
Posted
Posted

The codec isn't great, I'll agree, but very rarely have I had a problem that I couldn't understand someone; even extremely rare where I couldn't understand the ATC. True, some parts of the transmission get garbled, but I've flown 1500 hours RL and there are LOTS of times where I couldn't understand someone or ATC. People are understandably comparing it to PilotEdge but... wait for it... I prefer VATSIM sounds! PilotEdge sounds SO fake as it's "too clear"; it sounds like ATC is seating next to me and whispering in my hear... just creepy. haha

VATSIM board knows that the codec needs updating, it's not that they are unwilling but there are TONS of other things that need to be updated first. It's a huge aging "donated" system so it's not perfect and it could be like a house of cards.

Mr.

VATSIM P2