You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Vatsim and ASN 2016

Michael Broom

Michael Broom
Posted
Posted

I currently use ASN 2016 as my weather engine and always fly in Live weather Mode and the weather is pretty accurate.

However,within the ASN 2016 configuration I do not have Vatsim weather enabled.

My question is basically should this setting be enabled or not.

Would really appreciate clarification in relation to this.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Michael

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

really up to you. makes no difference. all that feature does is keep the updates synced to VATSIM's as close as possible. your weather isnt going to be drastically different with or without it checked (unless the networks weather feed goes down, which doesnt happen too often these days)

Michael Broom
Posted
Posted

Many thanks for your reply and comments.

Michael

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

This has been discussed previously, and I'd recommend using the VATSIM weather whenever attending larger events.

I don't necessarily agree with Ernstos statement, however if it is true, what's the harm in having VATSIM weather active 24/7? In my experience they are chronologically displaced, and varied. So much so I don't have VATSIM weather checked in AS unless it is a larger event.

The issues that can and have arisen; needing a different runway to what ATC have set, needing a hold to accommodate your request.

Ultimately it is your choice, but expect differences. Why not trial it yourself at a couple of airports?

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

Vatsim weather is the same as real world weather, albeit delayed a touch due to the way it p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]s METAR's.

This only effects METARs. Airports. it does not effect high altitude weather even slightly. Vatsim literally does not have any weather reports or feed for weather above FL245 (roughly). ActiveSky does have access to these forecasts.

Aircraft can land with a crosswind and downwind component.

Now if you think the real world reported weather is exactly the same as what the weather on the runway threshold is actually doing...

http://avherald.com/h?article=46588ddb

Some more fun reading:

http://www.nycaviation.com/2010/05/american-airlines-pilot-makes-emergency-landing-after-argument-with-control-tower/

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

Jonathan Fong
Posted
Posted
However,within the ASN 2016 configuration I do not have Vatsim weather enabled.

My question is basically should this setting be enabled or not.

It's up to you. All it does is it tells AS16 to download its METAR and TAF updates from VATSIM rather than the Hifi (i.e. its own) servers. There's rarely any significant difference between the two anyway, except for some minor delays occasionally between real life/Hifi and VATSIM. Higher-altitude reports are all handled by AS16 itself regardless of that setting.