You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VPilot and model matching

Michael Barralet 1140392

Michael Barralet 1140392
Posted
Posted

Hi Ross, since installing W10 I am unable to use FSinn anymore. I have installed VPilot which I find easier to use than FSinn.

I am dissapointed that VP does not model match my A2A Piper Commanche. Looking thru the forum and manual I cannot seem to find a solution. Can you offer any suggestions please.

Thanks in anticipation

Michael

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Is your A2A Comanche a flyable aircraft, or an AI? I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming it's flyable. vPilot only model matches to AI. In theory, you *could* do some workarounds to model match to your A2A Comanche, but that's strongly not advised, as model matching to hi-res flyable aircraft will take a serious toll on your flight sim system. That's why model matching is normally done to much lower-res AI.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Michael Barralet 1140392
Posted
Posted
Is your A2A Comanche a flyable aircraft, or an AI? I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming it's flyable. vPilot only model matches to AI. In theory, you *could* do some workarounds to model match to your A2A Comanche, but that's strongly not advised, as model matching to hi-res flyable aircraft will take a serious toll on your flight sim system. That's why model matching is normally done to much lower-res AI.

Thanks Don,

I dont have any AI I am relying on what is in my hangar. VP requests where your aircraft folder is on installation. Am I to install AI to achieve correct Model matching? If so, I seemed to have misjudged VP.

I do not have any problems when connected to IVAO.

Michael.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Thanks Don,

I dont have any AI I am relying on what is in my hangar. VP requests where your aircraft folder is on installation.

I'm not sure what you mean here ... vPilot doesn't ask about aircraft folders during installation. (I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume you're using version 1 of vPilot, not the vPilot 2.0 open beta version.)

Am I to install AI to achieve correct Model matching? If so, I seemed to have misjudged VP.

I do not have any problems when connected to IVAO.

vPilot does not come with any model sets. vPilot is designed to work with whatever AI traffic models you already have installed. If you don't have any AI models installed, it can make use of the default models that come with the sim, but your model matching will be quite lacking since the sim doesn't come with any real-world aircraft liveries.

Most users install a free AI package such as World of AI, and then download the corresponding model matching rules files, as explained in the docomeentation.

Better yet, install World of AI, then use vPilot 2.0 which auto-detects which AI traffic models you have installed. Download vPilot 2.0 here:

viewtopic.php?f=132&t=70966

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Michael Barralet 1140392
Posted
Posted

Many thanks for your reply Ross.

I think I may have misunderstood the model matching rules. I am sure I had the latest VP installed but have re installed from your link just in case. On installing, VP seeems to automatically search for aircraft and list what it finds in the advanced folder. I have unchecked the box next to simObjects folder. Hopefully that will cure the problem.

Again Thanks for your help.

Michael.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Why did you uncheck that box?

Michael Barralet 1140392
Posted
Posted

"Why did you uncheck that box?"

On the advanced folder in settings "uncheck the box next to the folder to prevent it from being used for model matching"

Even with that checked it displays everything as C172 as that is my default model. I fly mainly with GA aircraft and World of AI does not have any GA it is mostly jet aircraft.

Looking back at my original post I asked to enable my A2A PA24 commanche as I fly with friends with the same aircraft but VP only shows C172.

I have yet to see any other aircraft that is in my hanger on VP.

Regards Michael.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Which folder underneath simobjects did you uncheck?

Michael Barralet 1140392
Posted
Posted

"Which folder underneath simobjects did you uncheck?"

(SimObjects\IVAO_MTL - 266models. 0 Identified.)

As I said I have looked at the World of AI and they only list jet aircraft. I do not fly jets, only Prop aircraft e.g Cessna , Piper, Beech etc.

If you could suggest where I might be able to add thses to VP I would be grateful.

Regards Michael.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

IVAO is not supported, they are for use on the IVAO network, not VATSIM

Michael Barralet 1140392
Posted
Posted

"IVAO is not supported, they are for use on the IVAO network, not VATSIM"

Yes I know that. That is why I unchecked the box next to the listing. But when installing VP it lists these in the Advance folder.

Michael.

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

HI Michael,

The IVAO models appear in the list because vPilot simply scans your Simobjects list and, naturally, the IVAO models are there as a separate Simobjects entry.

However, the clue is the "0 identifed" -- vPilot will not recognise any of the IVAO models because IVAO have asked that it doesn't (to cut a long story short).

There is a bit of a shortage of GA AI models, unfortunately. I have the freeware ORBX GA AI models which is a decent start -- https://orbxdirect.com/product/aitraffic-naga and https://orbxdirect.com/product/aitraffic-aunz

I can't remember how well the automatic model matching worked with it, however -- I have a feeling I might have had to go through the aircraft.cfg files and manually update the model codes etc.

Vice President, Pilot Training

Michael Barralet 1140392
Posted
Posted

Many Thanks Simon, I appreciate your reply but I do not use Orbx so I that won't work.

It seems to me, VP is what it is, and until many users request to have GA aircraft in the model matching, I will have to go with what I have got. It works and I am grateful for that.

Also many thanks to Ross.

Bye for now.

Michael.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
I do not use Orbx so I that won't work.

It doesn't work only because you don't use it.

It seems to me, VP is what it is, and until many users request to have GA aircraft in the model matching, I will have to go with what I have got.

Not sure what you mean. vPilot already has the capability to provide model matching for any model in existence. In that regard, there's nothing really missing that users need to request.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

the models arent provided by the network, but i can tell ya there are many GA AI models available on the net. some you can download singly and some by packs. just have to search for them. the client itself can already make full use of them as Brad mentioned