You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Who to ask?

Daniel Turcotte 1375374

Daniel Turcotte 1375374
Posted
Posted

Still trying to learn before my first flight and I've been watching a few videos on YouTube of VATSIM flights, and I noticed that pilots will ask the next highest controller for clearance, taxi, etc. if the appropriate controller isn't manned(but normally would be for the airport). For example, they will ask tower for clearance and taxi since the ground controller isn't manned. My question is how high up should you go before you just state your intentions on UNICOMM? If only an app/dep controller is manned is it expected they will provide clearance, taxi and take off? How about only a center? Thank you for your help.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

the way VATSIM works is Top - Down. so basically it goes all the way up to the enroute controllers where appropriate (some only handle enroute, while others handle enroute + top-down service for the airports below)

Jonathan Fong
Posted
Posted

VATSIM works on a Top-Down priority system. When on the ground, if DEL is online, contact them; otherwise go to GND. If GND isn't online, then you call TWR; if TWR isn't online, call APP/DEP (same thing); if APP/DEP isn't online, call CTR. Generally FSS stations don't follow this system, though - they generally only do enroute control above a certain altitude (e.g. Eurocontrol (EURx_FSS) only controls above FL245).

Daniel Turcotte 1375374
Posted
Posted
Suggest you start in the pilot resource centre where this question has already been answered for you.

https://www.vatsim.net/pilot-resource-centre/general-lessons/airport-atc-procedures-cd-gnd-twr

Thanks for pointing that out! I had read through all of those but somehow missed the intent of that article, but its really clear now.

Thank you to everyone else for the quick replies.