You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Intel Compute Stick

Chris Wood 1306091

Chris Wood 1306091
Posted
Posted

Hi there, would the Intel compute stick with Quad-Core Intel Atom x5-Z8300 Processor be able to run VRC or euroscope?

Has anyone tried it at all

Kind Regards

Chris

0.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

VRC wise, it doesnt require much, ive run it on an old windows 98 machine and it did just fine

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

nevermind i see what the compute stick is. not sure if itll run on that

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
nevermind i see what the compute stick is. not sure if itll run on that

What makes you think that?

At first glance, it seems fine... it's a device that runs Windows and has supported for OpenGL (granted, not the latest-'n'-greatest... but it's likely sufficient for VRC's needs). Likewise, GDI is a core component of Windows, so I doubt they somehow managed to carve out support for it (meaning it should also work with EuroScope... unless ES no longer uses GDI, not sure about that).

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

are you able to even install things to it? im under the impression its to work with apps it already brings

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

You can install software onto it, yes. Either way, there's no need to "install" VRC (or, I suspect, Euroscope) - could just copy the VRC folder from one PC. If another PC is available, in fact, you could even use remote desktop on this stick to basically turn it into a thin client and make the remote PC do all of the work.

@Chris: What's the usage scenario you're thinking of here? Was this a Black Friday impulse purchase that you're trying to put to use now?

Chris Wood 1306091
Posted
Posted

I used to have access to a windows computer for controlling but not anymore . I currently am spending a lot of money on my flight training. As the intel compute Stick is cheaper options and all I need the PC for is to run VRC on it I thought to ask the vatsim forums. I haven't purchased it yet, I was asking here for some research first before deciding.

Kind Regards

Chris

0.png

• 1 month later...
Chris Wood 1306091
Posted
Posted

I have bought the intel compute stick and have been testing it out and I will control with it to see if it works as well as I thought, watch this space

0.png