You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

When no controller is on

Brandon Siska 1312951

Brandon Siska 1312951
Posted
Posted

Hello. This is my first post on here so bare with me. I was wondering what you do if no controller is present. Is there like a special sequence you tune into?

Sent From The Offices Of Captain Brandon Siska

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Welcome on board Brandon.

Simply tune to unicom (122.800 in most of the world apart from South America and Africa) and announce your intentions via text. No controller will be on that frequency so no need to ask for a clearance.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Deon Mathews
Posted
Posted
Welcome on board Brandon.

Simply tune to unicom (122.800 in most of the world apart from South America and Africa) .

This used to be the case in South Africa however the 122.80 Unicom frequency has been adopted throughout the African continent.

Deon Mathews

VATSIM Marketing & Communications Team

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

When you are in uncontrolled airspace on Vatsim, you should employ some "See and Avoid" techniques. This is where TCAS can help, and of course, the good ol' window.

There's some real world equivalent to CTAF and TIBA.

In general, you want to tune to 122.80 (**or 123.45 if you are in Brazil, and only Brazil) and type text into your broadcast text box in the pilot client when you are:

1: Taxying to a runway

(Let other people know which taxiway you are going to use and which runway you are going to)

2: Holding short of a runway about to enter it and take off.

(Let people know what runway you are entering, and which direction you are going to turn after takeoff (left? right? straight ahead to higher than 10,000ft?)

3: If you think someone needs to know where you are and where you are going

(Hi (callsign of other person), I'll hold short for you at runway x till you land)

4: Approaching the airport (more than 10nm away)

(Traffic (airport code) (aircraft type) is descending through (altitude) runway (the runway you are going to land on) estimate (the time you are going to land, if your FMS provides this detail)

5: On final approach (about 10nm away)

(Traffic (Airport code) (aircraft type) landing runway (number)

6: Vacated the runway

(Traffic (airport code) (aircraft type) vacated Runway (number), taxying to (place) )

7: If you think someone needs to know where you are and where you are going

(Hi (callsign of other person), I'll hold short for you at taxiway x and cross once you p[Mod - Happy Thoughts])

**(If you fly in Brazil you may find that Alguns pilotos falam em português em vez de inglês )

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015