You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Situational awareness

Johnny Coughlan

Johnny Coughlan
Posted
Posted

Lately whilst flying I've noticed a huge increase in txt pilots, when flying into a busy sector I find it a little hard to picture where everyone else is in relevant to me when a large amount in the sector are txt only, I find myself concentrating on the ones I hear through my headset and not on the ones using txt.

Not a huge issue I know but I like building a picture in my head where everyone is I usually only fly a small few routes and know the airspace very well and I find the cockpit workload a little high having to maximize vpilot and have a quick scan of which txt pilot is where.

Anyone else?.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted (edited)

sounds like you have a problem you have to work on

text should be a lot easier for awareness especially since you cant forget what was transmitted, your choice to either use it or not to your advantage

one tip, you dont have to focus on everyone (information overload)

Edited by Guest

Camden Bruno
Posted
Posted

Johnny,

I applaud you for doing your best to monitor UNICOM and keep track of the planes around you. I suggest using VATSpy, Vattastic, QuteScoop, or whatever VATSIM monitoring software works best for you. This enables you to see the aircraft in relation to your position, along with their altitude, course, etc.

Hope this helps and let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Best,

Cam B.
VATSIM Supervisor

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted
Lately whilst flying I've noticed a huge increase in txt pilots, when flying into a busy sector I find it a little hard to picture where everyone else is in relevant to me when a large amount in the sector are txt only, I find myself concentrating on the ones I hear through my headset and not on the ones using txt.

Not a huge issue I know but I like building a picture in my head where everyone is I usually only fly a small few routes and know the airspace very well and I find the cockpit workload a little high having to maximize vpilot and have a quick scan of which txt pilot is where.

Anyone else?.

With ATC? then let the controller worry about it.

On unicom, well that's text only so you'll have to live with that.

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Lorenzo Stobbione 1368867
Posted
Posted

Well, I tried to simulate "as real as it gets" while flying on UNICOM trying not to watch over vatspy and I found enough useful the boeing tcas radar on the map viewer.

Of course, you do not know the callsign of aircraft around you but in my opinion what really matter is where are the others.

If you know your flight plan enough you should be able to discriminate useful txt messages from not useful ones...

Lorenzo Stobbione

P1 Rating - VATSIM Online Pilot

P2 Rating - VATSIM Flight Fundamentals

VCI2636.png