You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ILH TCAS and Transponder in P3D

Kyprianos Biris

Kyprianos Biris
Posted
Posted

Some of you flying older airliners may remember the excellent Lee Hetherington's TCAS II v7 IVSI and Transponder gauge which enabled us pilots having modern TCAS and Transponder compatible with VATSIM flying (interacting with pilot clients on Squawk modes etc.) in any airliner. I use this in CaptainSim 727 which does not come by default with TCAS and the transponder required.

I added it in the 2D pedestral window by replacing Captainsim's Transponder and VSI gauges in the VC panel.

The VC panel Transponder is not replaceable.

Until P3D 3.1 this gauge was compatible with P3D.

Something changed in 3.2 and the transponder appears just as a brown background rectangle without any functions.

The IVSI works but in Squawk Standby mode.

I searched and by posting in the P3D forum I managed to get help by being referred to this post in AVSIM about older add on's in general.

So ...

To enable again this wonderful gauge in P3D past version 3.2 do the following:

Create a folder ***OUTSIDE*** P3D folder for older add ons like E:\AddOns and inside it a subfolder Gauges

Find gauges.cfg in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3

Make a back up of the file somewhere and change it with notepad as follows with the new Entry.1 as follows and save it

[Entry.0]

Title=Default Gauges

Path=Gauges

Required=True

Active=True

[Entry.1]

Title=Addon Gauges

Path=E:\AddOns\Gauges

Required=True

Active=True

Next time you load P3D the Transponder will be visible in your aircraft and you can use it in VATSIM.

To add this Transponder & IVSI gauges in any old airliner is just a matter of replacing their gauges in its panel.cfg

In real life they would not be allowed to fly in the IFR system without TCAS so this simulates this modification.

SYvmJn1.jpg

spacer.png

Hellenic vACC | Olympic Air Virtual

Europe Region Director 2001-2011

Pilot: P5 | ATC: C3

• 4 years later...
sauron chartier
Posted
Posted

Hi, I'd like to resurrect this topic because as far as I know this was never possible and I assumed this stopped working with Prepar3D v4 correct??...because of the x64 compatibility issue, or can older gauges still be used in this fashion if placed outside Prepar3D?  And regardless how does a panel config entry reference them if they are not in the root gauges folder or panel folder?   Some config examples would be appreciated. 

Anyway, if this is a dead horse, it's a huge shame because this was an AMAZING gauge.  You would think the guy that made it would have re-coded it for x64.  It must be some sort of exhaustive process because so many C+ gauges like this have been lost to the ages in favor of XML which from what I've learned can be limiting for more advanced gauges but it seems the industry went in that direction because they are easier to work with and more quickly edited.  We need our TCAS back!

Kyprianos Biris
Posted
Posted

Thank you for resurrecting it. 😉

I have not tried it in later P3D versions (now I'm in 5.2) because since then (2017~2018) I did not fly the 727 again.

I was not happy at all with the the attitude of the developer and I think it had compatibility issues with later P3D versions.

spacer.png

Hellenic vACC | Olympic Air Virtual

Europe Region Director 2001-2011

Pilot: P5 | ATC: C3