You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Pacific Flight Plans

Andy Yiu

Andy Yiu
Posted
Posted

I am pretty inexperienced when it comes to transoceanic flights. I can kind of get the concept in flying across the Atlantic, but the Pacific still eludes me a little bit. My issue primarily has to do with PACOT tracks. So, I have two questions

1) Are the use of PACOT all that much different from using a NAT? (Oceanic clearances and position reporting the same?)

2) Are there designated tracks to use from North America West Coast to Hawaii? I was actually thinking about planning a trip, and the only tracks I can find are West of Hawaii?

Thanks.

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Andy,

PACOTS has nothing to do with flying from the West Coast of North America to Hawaii as far as I know. It is used for Hawaii to Asia, and return, and North America to Asia, and return.

I cannot get the direct link to the PACOTS data to work, so if you haven't already go to https://www.faa.gov/ and type "PACOTS" in the search block and the link to the .pdf docomeent will show up.

However, back on the subject of West Coast to Hawaii, I have always used the airways that exist between the two and the principles of using NATs across the Atlantic as far as position reports. Despite the many crossings I have never found myself in a situation where San Francisco Radio and a US west coast ARTCC or Hawaii have been on at the same time, so I have never requested an Oceanic Clearance or even know for sure that you have to when using the West Coast to Hawaii Airways.

I have been over the Pacific between the two before on an Airway, though, when San Francisco Radio logged in and I started giving him my position reports, otherwise I simply text them on UNICOM to let other Pacific travelers know I'm near and what my intentions are.

As for specific airways between the West Coast and Hawaii , I suggest you have a look at Skyvector and zoom out so you can see both the West Coast and Hawaii. You will see a very distinct set of "tracks" (airways) between the two if you have the "Worldwide High" charts tab selected. Once there, it's pretty obvious where the San Francisco Radio entry and exit gates are. Don't forget to sqauwk "2000" while in the oceanic portions.

Flightaware is a pretty good source for the specific routes between the two and altitudes airliners are using for any particular day.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training