You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Air to Air frequency

Lorenzo Stobbione 1368867

Posted
Posted

Hi all,

studying some Enroute Charts I've discovered Air to Air frequencies, I googled a bit but I found different and discordant answers on what is their usage, so here you are my questions:

1) What is the purpose of Air to Air frequencies?

2) Are they implemented in Vatsim with* UNICOM?

Thank you in advance!

Lorenzo Stobbione

P1 Rating - VATSIM Online Pilot

P2 Rating - VATSIM Flight Fundamentals

VCI2636.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

used mainly for communications between aircraft, IE formation flying, etc.. its heavily used during air shows sometimes between the pilots. not supposed to be used for personal coms, IE you shouldnt be talking about that date you had last night with some young lady. although often misused

no they arent implemented on VATSIM. we only use one frequency to keep it simple. there are some areas that do it differently, like Australia, but majority of vatsim is on a single frequency. there is no rule though that if you and your buddy want to tune 122.75 on com2 that you cant do that. itll be text only, but you certainly can

Posted
Posted

Thank you for your answer.

My request about implementation was more in an as real as it gets fashion, so if it was used as in reality and, maybe, with a permanent voice room.

For chit chat purposes there are pvt messages so it was not the case.

Thank you!

Lorenzo Stobbione

P1 Rating - VATSIM Online Pilot

P2 Rating - VATSIM Flight Fundamentals

VCI2636.png