You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Network Error: Parse Error

Michael Bonanno 984105

Michael Bonanno 984105
Posted
Posted

Hello!

I was connected as a pilot and supervisor this afternoon. There seemed to be a m[Mod - Happy Thoughts] issue with all vpilot users that resulted in repeated errors. I have included a screenshot taken by one of the reporting members. I am not sure what caused this, but it was later pointed out that WG316 was an active callsign that I did not originally see. The issue seemed to have stopped once that user disconnected.

4bf9509ebe2e46e3ae63bbb4d30552ef.png

Michael Bonanno, VATSIM Supervisor

vatcan%20logo%2087x30.gifvatsim%2082x30.gif

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Relevant post by Don:

Interesting. These issues were last reported 1.3 years ago (in October 2015) and fixed in January 2016. WG316 was using vPilot version 1.1.5638.40065... released way back on 2015-06-09 (thanks BG!) Guess what was fixed in the next couple of versions? Connections after shutdown and Position packet sometimes has invalid lat and/or lon values..... C'mon folks, stop clinging to old versions!

The pilot kept reconnecting and then disconnecting - presumably noticing that something wasn't working right on his end. Eventually, his vPilot started sending valid position data... though I'm not sure if he ever upgraded from that old version yet.

Perhaps this is good motivation for the network admins to consider blacklisting all vPilot versions older than 1.1.5901.24775 (which is a few days shy of 1 year old)?

marcus holmes
Posted
Posted
Relevant post by Don:

Perhaps this is good motivation for the network admins to consider blacklisting all vPilot versions older than 1.1.5901.24775 (which is a few days shy of 1 year old)?

You cannot start blacklisting older versions of Vpilot just because of this rare one off event. You might as well start blacklisting members that use Squawkbox & FSInn because they are old and not supported. A lot people including myself still use the older version of Vpilot because it works for them.

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted
You cannot start blacklisting older versions of Vpilot just because of this rare one off event.

Why not? The upgrade to a newer version is free.

You might as well start blacklisting members that use Squawkbox & FSInn because they are old and not supported.

No idea why that's relevant; why would we need to do that?

A lot people including myself still use the older version of Vpilot because it works for them.

"The" older version? There are at least 32 published versions of vPilot. I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming you mean the 1.1 branch... but then again I'm confused since I wasn't suggesting forcing people to use the 2.x branch.

marcus holmes
Posted
Posted
You cannot start blacklisting older versions of Vpilot just because of this rare one off event.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, the older version works for a lot of people and they do not feel comfortable going to a newer version.

You might as well start blacklisting members that use Squawkbox & FSInn because they are old and not supported.

It is relevant because as you stated about version 1.1.5901.24775 that it was shy of 1 year old, well Squawkbox and FSInn are shy of being over 7 years old and unsupported, so if you think an old version of Vpilot should be blacklisted you might as well blacklisted all old software like Squawkbox and FSInn.

A lot people including myself still use the older version of Vpilot because it works for them.

"The" older version? There are at least 32 published versions of vPilot. I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming you mean the 1.1 branch... but then again I'm confused since I wasn't suggesting forcing people to use the 2.x branch.

I think you need to re-read you original post.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

Actually the network can and has black listed at least one former client. Fsinn and squawkbox will be on the block at some point, progess has to continue, thats not possible with those two as they arent supported by their devs anymore.

Thats not happening though until the next multi platform client comes out. Once that happens, death clock starts for those two.

As far as version restrictions, most certainly can, especially in cases just like this one where the network is directly affected by a bug throwing everyone out

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Like I mentioned in my previous post, the older version works for a lot of people and they do not feel comfortable going to a newer version.

I would agree with you if 1.1.5638.40065 was the last build in the V1 branch, or if there were significant feature changes in the V1 branch after 1.1.5638.40065, but that's not the case. This is the change log for the 4 releases that came after 1.1.5638.40065 in the V1 branch:

vPilot - 1.1.5901.24775 - Released 2016-02-27
=============================================
- 0002458: Fix syntax errors generated by invalid lat/lon values in position data.
- 0002454: Remove dependency on DirectX library.

vPilot - 1.1.5851.23849 - Released 2016-01-08
- 0002455: Position packet sometimes has invalid lat and/or lon values.
- 0002457: Increase max callsign length to 8 to allow for shared cockpit suffix.
- 0002440: Enforce max length of 7 for callsign.
- 0002453: Links in text box cause font size change.
- 0002436: Add warning about admin requirement when setting keyboard key for PTT.
- 0002433: When running model matching test, first test the default model.

vPilot - 1.1.5678.20264 - Released 2015-07-19
- 0002429: Set SquawkboxConnected flag to zero on shutdown.

vPilot - 1.1.5677.18813 - Released 2015-07-17
- 0002428: Set SquawkboxRunning flag to zero on shutdown.

None of those changes would cause issues for someone that is comfortable with 1.1.5638.40065.

It is relevant because as you stated about version 1.1.5901.24775 that it was shy of 1 year old, well Squawkbox and FSInn are shy of being over 7 years old and unsupported, so if you think an old version of Vpilot should be blacklisted you might as well blacklisted all old software like Squawkbox and FSInn.

If I may speak for Brad, it's not relevant because blacklisting v1.1.5638.40065 of vPilot is a very different thing from blacklisting Squawkbox or FSInn, because there are subsequent versions of vPilot after 1.1.5638.40065. In other words, users of 1.1.5638.40065 have perfectly viable options if we blacklist 1.1.5638.40065. The same cannot be said of FSInn or Squawkbox.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC