You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Feature Request: Model Matching "quick change"

Jarrod Geruntino

Jarrod Geruntino
Posted
Posted (edited)

outdated. please delete.

Edited by Jarrod Geruntino
outdated

Johnny Coughlan
Posted
Posted

I too always wondered why this wasn't an option?.

Ross am I right in thinking that once vpilot scans installed flyable and AI models it saves them?, could you not as suggested above create a GUI drop down with a/c in your session and change the model to something other than default when you model matching doesn't pick it up?.

I stream all my ATC seasion and I'm always questioned why an ATR look like a A320.

Don't even get me started on helicopters lmao!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I too always wondered why this wasn't an option?.

Here's my thinking on this feature:

If I'm connected to VATSIM and conducting a flight, and I encounter an aircraft for which I don't have a suitable model match, I'm not going to take the time to figure out which of the thousands of installed models is a "better" fit for that aircraft, and manually select that model for that aircraft. There's a good chance that I won't be seeing that aircraft for long, anyway. You generally only see aircraft up close (close enough to care what the model/livery is) when you're at an airport, and so one of us will likely be leaving the airport or disconnecting soon, so why bother spending the time manually choosing a model for that aircraft?

Instead, when I encounter an aircraft for which I don't have an automatic match, if I'm not busy doing pilot stuff, I might make a note of the callsign and aircraft type. Every so often I'll take a look at these notes and see if there's (for example) a WoAI package that I should download in order to get models that would match those aircraft next time.

In other words, rather than creating a way to manually change models just for the current flight, I would rather work towards improving my model matching permanently.

That's just me, and I know there are some people that like this feature from FSInn, but it's really not something that I find is in huge demand, and it doesn't serve the primary design goals of vPilot. I'm not saying I'll never develop such a feature, it's just not high on my list.

Ross am I right in thinking that once vpilot scans installed flyable and AI models it saves them?

Yes, it saves the model scan results to an XML file and uses that to generate model matching rules. It updates that scan whenever it detects that models have been added to or removed from your sim.

Note that it doesn't matter whether or not the model is flyable. Non-flyable models can be used for model matching.

could you not as suggested above create a GUI drop down with a/c in your session and change the model to something other than default when you model matching doesn't pick it up?.

See above.

I stream all my ATC seasion and I'm always questioned why an ATR look like a A320.

Don't even get me started on helicopters lmao!

I would encourage you to install some ATR and heli models. If vPilot isn't detecting them and automatically using them for model matching, you could either make a custom model matching file, or send me the info and I'll add them to the model database.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Jarrod Geruntino
Posted
Posted (edited)

-

Edited by Jarrod Geruntino

Johnny Coughlan
Posted
Posted

Fair points Ross,

I was only commenting from an ATC using tower view perspective.

I understand pilots will have more of their attention inside the cockpit and really looking if caring about other traffic in the other side of the airport.

I'll just try amend the matching on my end.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I see the issue the same way whether you're using vPilot for flying or tower view. Are you thinking such a feature is more important for tower controllers?

Johnny Coughlan
Posted
Posted
I see the issue the same way whether you're using vPilot for flying or tower view. Are you thinking such a feature is more important for tower controllers?

Well I'll put it this way.

An embarr[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing moment happened during a flyin hosted by my vACC, we had representatives from our real life ATC counterpart come check us out and it was a little embarr[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing when an aircraft loaded up with a callsign that didn't match anything we had(or had planned for) pop up as something else in the model matching and not being able to 'fix' it on the fly.

You can imagine our real life counterparts confusion when they asked us why was this and us being stumped to answer it.

No biggie but it's def more important for controllers as we've to 'look' at them more than a pilot would.

I'm sorry, I'm nitpicking I know lol.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
An embarr[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing moment happened during a flyin hosted by my vACC, we had representatives from our real life ATC counterpart come check us out and it was a little embarr[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing when an aircraft loaded up with a callsign that didn't match anything we had(or had planned for) pop up as something else in the model matching and not being able to 'fix' it on the fly.

This is what programmers call an "edge case". Being embarr[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed in front of visiting real world controllers is not a common occurrence for vPilot users.

Besides, what would you have changed the model to in order to fix it? Are you saying you had the correct model installed for this aircraft but vPilot didn't detect it? If so, the correct fix is to add a model matching rule (and ideally, send me the model info to add to the database so that other users will benefit) ... that way it is fixed permanently rather than having to manually change the aircraft each time it appears. That's the main reason I don't understand the desire to be able to change models manually ... it's like the whole "teach a man to fish" thing.

No biggie but it's def more important for controllers as we've to 'look' at them more than a pilot would.

To my way of thinking, that makes it even more important that you fix the model matching so that it works right the next time that aircraft appears.

I guess it boils down to me not seeing the value in a one-time temporary fix.

• Jarrod Geruntino changed the title to Feature Request: Model Matching "quick change"