You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Airport without taxiway strength information (USA)

Jakob Bohme 1277841

Jakob Bohme 1277841
Posted
Posted

Hello pilots!

For next weeks CTP I'll be flying my private A319 over to the states. I'm thinking of visiting KGFL Floyd Bennet Memorial Field (mostly for the scenery) with said plane, and being a pretty serious simmer I've dicided to look up the pavement strenght for the airport. I can find the runway strength and I'm well within the limits. What I can not find is the strength for the taxiways/aprons. Does anone know if one could [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume the other surfaces would be able to take the same planes that are able to use the runway? In one docomeent from Australia I found just that, but for the US I'm not sure.

Best Regards,

Jakob Böhme

Steven Perry
Posted
Posted

Generally, yes.

If there are exceptions, they will be noted in the Airport/Facilicity Directory or whatever the politically correct term for that is nowadays, in a NOTAM, or on the airport diagram.

Steven Perry

VATSIM Supervisor

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Jakob, great to see someone else doing the planning with ACN/PCN. I do it a lot on non major airports, and it's surprising what isn't legal to land in some places.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Jakob Bohme 1277841
Posted
Posted
Generally, yes.

If there are exceptions, they will be noted in the Airport/Facilicity Directory or whatever the politically correct term for that is nowadays, in a NOTAM, or on the airport diagram.

Thank you for the clarification!

Best Regards,

Jakob Böhme

Jakob Bohme 1277841
Posted
Posted
Jakob, great to see someone else doing the planning with ACN/PCN. I do it a lot on non major airports, and it's surprising what isn't legal to land in some places.

Nice to know I'm not alone For me it adds a completely new dimension of flight planning. I agree!

Best Regards,

Jakob Böhme

Jim Hurst 1353723
Posted
Posted

Generally, I've [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed (perhaps naively) that if the runways are long enough for your particular aircraft, it will also accept its weight as well. That said, if you look at the general information, airport diagram, and/or taxi chart, for the airport, it will usually list pertinent restrictions that might be applicable (if any).

Two examples I can point to: KBUF lists weight limits for both of its runways ("Weight bearing capacity"), and in Canada, Montreal's airport CYUL shows both wingspan and weight restrictions for certain taxiways.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Jim

PS> You might need a subscription to see the CYUL charts (I linked it from http://www.fltplan.com)

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Jim,

In my experience that statement is not correct (if the runway is long enough for the aircraft then it will handle the weight)

All airports will nominate the acceptable rating for their runways which takes into consideration several factors not just the aircrafts Operating Weight. However the aircraft weight at any particular time will have an ACN which must never exceed the PCN for that runway.

Airbus have their ACNs freely available, usually in a two axis line graph. I created my own excel sheet and I simply enter my current OW and it displays my ACN. Unlike the real world where a pilot may only operate one aircraft, online many will fly numerous types regularly. So you may not know all the aircraft parameters intimately.

The PCN is published by all airports. It will generally appear like 01/19 F/B 65 blah blah blah.

The 65 is the actual number your aircrafts ACN when landing cannot exceed.

Once you start looking into it, you will be surprised the places you can't legally land. The runway length is a whole other matter, which generally the airport authority doesn't care about.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Jim Hurst 1353723
Posted
Posted

Interesting stuff, Sean... Another piece to add to the overall puzzle...

Cheers,

Jim