You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Recent broadcasts

Magnus Meese

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

Couldn't find a topic on this with a quick search.

When I was a supervisor, we had an overview of the last 10 or 20 broadcasts sent on the network. Nowadays, especially in the hours before I go to bed when I have an hour or two to waste, I miss that feature very much, as I'd often like to spend that time contributing in say a CPT (even more so when my sleep cycle is off due to evening work, and I'm up while my entire region is off for the night). Broadcasts are used for announcing CPTs, server status or other important messages, and I can not recall to have seen in my 10 years on here something that couldn't well have been posted publicly. And even if public access is worrysome, why not just stuff it under the SSO somewhere? Basically, instead of having to browse hundred of vACC/vARTCC's homepages, why can't we just take a look at the last 10 broadcasts, figure out if there's a CPT taking place during the next hour or two, and be on our way? This is already available (or was, at least), just not to normal members.

Colin Schoen
Posted
Posted

Seems reasonable. In fact placing it somewhere on the VATSIM homepage as previous network updates might be useful.

Colin Schoen

VATSIM Senior Network Supervisor

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Great suggestion Magnus! Going into the technical details, I think it should probably be the last n broadcasts within the past h hours. If that didn't make any sense, I just don't want to see a broadcast for an OTS/CPT yesterday :mrgreen:

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

That's definately more sensible!

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

I don't think broadcasts should be made for such things.

I mean who are you reaching? Pilots already connected and hopefully flying. How many will disconnect, and then reconnect at the event?

I think it's an abuse of the position also. I thought network broadcasts were supposed to be in regards network wide issues... eg server will be offline etc.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Philipp Edlich
Posted
Posted

There is already the Exams Flight Group for VATEUD, VATWA, VATSEA, VATNAF and VATSAF at http://cpt.vateud.net/

Maybe this could be used as a worldwide platform.

| Enroute Controller |

gen.php?img=_13_14_15&cid=1081694

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

That's fair, but knowing how changes in the way members use the network and affiliated tools can come very slowly, how about making the broadcasts public or open for members while we're attempting the transition, at least, given how few that actually participates at present. I can't be the only one sitting here some times wondering where a good place for a short hop would be, and the broadcast system already covers this need.

Changing the broadcast policy could be carried out in another thread, perhaps, instead of highjacking this one?

Kieran Hardern
Posted
Posted

I will add a brief history of broadcasts (last 6 hours?) to one of the upcoming web interfaces.

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

Sounds great!