You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Question about RNAV Approaches next to Big Airports

Ignacio Capistran 1087072

Posted
Posted

Hi All ! I have a question that is probably already answered. When I fly to small airports that are next to hi density traffic airports I always select the direct approach to one of the fixes the RNAV Approach plate has.

For Example : If I fly from KLIT to KOLV via airways, start my descent and then fly direct to one of the fixes the RNAV approach has. But since KMEM its next to KOLV I don't know if this is the right procedure.

My Questions:

-Do I have to avoid some TCA restrictions or maintain a certain altitude?

-Since KOLV has no STAR what is the right thing to do?

Thanks in advance

Ignacio

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

The ATC folks here might be able to give a better answer, since the question revolves around how the two airports' arrival streams are separated / coordinated. I'm not a controller and I don't know the intracacies of that airspace too well, so maybe someone from ZME can come in behind me and give a better answer.

But from a pilot's standpoint, [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming you're referring to the case where ATC isn't online to guide you, there's not a real good answer except to announce your position and intentions on 122.8 and do your best to coordinate with other traffic in the area.

The closest thing to realism you can achieve without radar services is probably to peek at the ILS 18 and/or the LOC 36 for some hints. The ILS 18 has a published feeder leg from HLI VOR; the LOC 36 has a feeder from VOSFY which is on the V94, also off of HLI. So you could fly one of those published feeders (or, the whole approach, for that matter, instead of one of the RNAVs) and be relatively [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ured that you're not conflicting with any of Memphis' main arrival paths.

However, if there's no ATC around there, there's probably little or no other traffic around either anyway, and direct-to the RNAV's IAF as you described is likely to be perfectly fine.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Posted
Posted

Thanks Rob ! That really helped. I'll be announcing muy procedure status to better coordinate with incoming traffic in the area.

Seems I wasn't doing things so bad after all.

Really appreciate it.

Ignacio

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted
Thanks Rob ! That really helped. I'll be announcing muy procedure status to better coordinate with incoming traffic in the area.

Seems I wasn't doing things so bad after all.

Really appreciate it.

Ignacio

I can't speak to how Memphis Approach would handle this exactly, however the way airspace is built protects primary arrival traffic from satellite fields. Coming from LIT, you would likely be on a vector north or south of the MEM final and either descended quite low early into Satellite's airspace, or you could be kept high over KMEM then descended once east of MEM.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"