You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Curious about Scenery.cfg File

Randy Tyndall 1087023

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Hello all,

I'm curious. Using a tool called SimpleAirportScanner (SAS) from Scruffyduck.uk I discovered I have two scenery.cfg files for FS2004 and I have two scenery.cfg files for FSX.

The two for FS2004 are in USER/NAME/appdata/roaming/microsoft/fs9/ (where the fs9.cfg file is located also) and also in C:\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\ (where the FS9.exe file is located)

The two for FSX are in USER/NAME/appdata/roaming/microsoft/fsx/ (where the fsx.cfg file is located) and in E:\FSX\ (where the FSX.exe file is located).

When I ran SAS for FSX no issues and no duplicate airports. When I ran it for FS9, which I have had longer obviously and put more addon scenery in to, it discovered a few duplicate airports. No problem, though. I corrected the duplications and all is good.

The reason for the post, though, is that when scanning FS9 the tool warned me that it could not locate three active scenery areas. I was surprised, because I had removed them from my scenery library several months ago. So, I went looking and that is when I discovered the two scenery.cfg files. The one in "USER\...\..." still showed the three removed scenery files as active. The one in C:\Microsoft...\...\ did not either show them as active or even list them as a scenery area.

It is obvious to me that FS9 is using the scenery.cfg in the C:\ location because I have not gotten a warning upon starting FS9 that "scenery area x,y, and z could not be located". The only reason I started looking was because of the SAS warning.

So, just curious if everyone has two scenery.cfg in their installation, whether FS9 or FSX. I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume you do and if so, why is it set up that way? Only seems more likely to lead to confusion.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

marcus holmes
Posted
Posted

When I read your post, I just had to go and check my /roaming/microsoft/fsx to see if had also had a fs9.cfg, but found nothing there. I did use to fly fs9 back in the day before my hard drive crashes and forced me to move over to FSX.

Maybe if you are using FSX now and once used Fs9 you may just have some hangover files left from Fs9 when you moved over to FSX.

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Thanks Marcus,

I actually use both FS9 and FSX still. I have both installed, one on the C:\ drive and the other on my E:\ drive. Both platforms have two scenery.cfg's, one in each of the locations I described in my post above, which is what I was referring to, not the FS9.cfg or the FSX.cfg files. I only have one FS9.cfg and one FSX.cfg and they are in roaming/appdata/.../...

Look there for a file called scenery.cfg and then whenever you have FSX installed, look in that folder as well and see if there is another file named the same thing, scenery.cfg

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training