You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vpilot squelching g noise

Bill Gardiner 865588

Bill Gardiner 865588
Posted
Posted

How do I stop this? Is there a wave file I can delete? Thanks.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure what you mean by "squelching g noise" ... what noise are you trying to eliminate?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Bill Gardiner 865588
Posted
Posted

It's the intermittent "squelching" noise that I think is there to simulate RW traffiic?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

No idea what you're talking about ... so it's probably not something vPilot is generating.

Roger Hanson
Posted
Posted

Could it be Broadcast messages that are causing this sound?

Regards, Rog Hanson

Nick Warren
Posted
Posted

Text comms between pilots and controllers maybe? That would be the squelch noise I think of.

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

C:\Users\____\AppData\Local\vPilot\Sounds

The file for the frequency messages is RadioMessage.wav .

Bill Gardiner 865588
Posted
Posted

That's the one. Thanks Magnus!

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

And, Bill, of course, it's not advised to remove that sound. It's there for a reason -- to inform you that there is a new message that you should be aware of, whether on the comm channel or a private message.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

Freq messages including your callsign, and initial PMs, use a different more attention demanding sound file, which is helpfull. Flying enroute in airport dense areas can be a nuisance indeed with the general message sound active. Though, I strongly advise to have vPilot open on a second monitor so that you can stay in the loop, otherwise removing the sound would be foolhardy.

Lindsey Wiebe 1101951
Posted
Posted

Will the "stay on top" tick option work on the second monitor? Even though it's not "on top of" FSX?

Mr.

VATSIM P2

Bill Gardiner 865588
Posted
Posted

Yes, the stay on top works on the second monitor. I listen for my call sign and don't really need the squelch sound. It plays a lot more often than just when I'm getting a message, I hear it all the time. But maybe that is configurable. In any case, I think I'm better off without it. Just a personal preference thing.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Will the "stay on top" tick option work on the second monitor? Even though it's not "on top of" FSX?

Yes, that keeps the vPilot window on top of all other windows, not just FSX. Note that it will not help if you use FSX in full screen mode. Full screen mode hides all other windows, even those that are set to be on top.

I listen for my call sign and don't really need the squelch sound. It plays a lot more often than just when I'm getting a message, I hear it all the time. But maybe that is configurable. In any case, I think I'm better off without it. Just a personal preference thing.

Yeah, you're referring to the sound that is played when a text radio message comes in on the frequency you are tuned to, doesn't matter if it's directed to you or not.

Nick Warren
Posted
Posted
Yes, the stay on top works on the second monitor. I listen for my call sign and don't really need the squelch sound. It plays a lot more often than just when I'm getting a message, I hear it all the time. But maybe that is configurable. In any case, I think I'm better off without it. Just a personal preference thing.

I don't know if it violates any software agreements, but is replacing the .wav with something more subtle or running the existing .wav through a sound editor and decreasing the volume an option for you?

I don't want to dictate how you personally conduct your flights, but I believe that there is a degree in maintaining situational awareness in monitoring the frequency, even if messages aren't specifically directed towards me. At the same time, I can understand one not wanting it so annoying, that it takes away from the enjoyment.

Nick

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted

Other pilot clients have no message sound at all, so I don't see how this could be a problem.

KntU2Cw.jpg

Bill Gardiner 865588
Posted
Posted

It is clearly a personal thing--most people didn't even recognize what I meant when I said squelching noise. For me, it seemed loud and happened so often that I didn't realize it was tied to incoming messages. As I said, I listen for my call sign so don't need it. If it just played when I get a message I would consider turning down the volume of the sound and keeping it but for now I have just renamed the file so it doesn't play at all.

Thanks everyone for your help and thanks to vpilot for a great program. I'm a member of a VA and we are pretty much 100% on vpilot not because it is company policy but because it is our choice.

• 4 years later...
Julio Rodriguez
Posted
Posted

So, going back to this question... can the incoming message squelch sound be lowered? It goes through my PC speakers really loud. Is there a way to change the sound output? I can't imagine I'm the only one this has happened to.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Those sounds come through whatever your default output device is configured to in Windows.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Julio Rodriguez said:

So, going back to this question... can the incoming message squelch sound be lowered?

If you want to lower ALL notification sounds, use the "Windows Mixer" in the System Tray and reduce the volume of vPilot.

If you want to lower JUST radiomessage.wav, use a sound editor (such as a freeware one called Audacity) and edit the sound file itself.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png