You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Can I be a pilot and ATC?

Vincent Lauro 1384635

Vincent Lauro 1384635
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I want to fly but I also want to be ATC. Can I do both? Not at the same time, but I mean like sometimes I fly other times I become ATC.

Thanks,

Vincent Lauro

Kieran Samuel Cross
Posted
Posted
Hello,

I want to fly but I also want to be ATC. Can I do both? Not at the same time, but I mean like sometimes I fly other times I become ATC.

Thanks,

Vincent Lauro

Welcome to VATSIM, Vincent.

You can both fly and operate as a controller, as long as you are not connected both flying and controlling simultaneously. To become a controller, you'll need specific training from wherever you want to control.

To be a pilot however, you do not need this. It is however, recommended that you look through the pilot resource centre, for tips and guidance.

Kind Regards,

Kieran Cross,

28.png

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

Much like the real world, there is no law preventing ATC from taking some time off from controlling traffic to become someone else's traffic.

I happen to know a few real world controllers who occasionally go to the very airport they control traffic at, and rent a Cessna on a day they aren't working.

As long as you aren't logged in as a controller manning an ATC position while simultaneously flying an aircraft.

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015