You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

KORD

Joaquin Blanco

Joaquin Blanco
Posted
Posted

Would like to be able to get an accurate scenery free/pay ware for this airport in P3D. I gave up on waiting for the fsdreamteam KORD to be updated. Hoping someone soon will do a good scenery for this important airport .

Any suggestions/recommendations very welcome.

Bests

Best regards

Joaquin Blanco

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
Would like to be able to get an accurate scenery free/pay ware for this airport in P3D. I gave up on waiting for the fsdreamteam KORD to be updated. Hoping someone soon will do a good scenery for this important airport .

Any suggestions/recommendations very welcome.

Bests

Right now, I would actually say that FSDT is your best bet. They are rebuilding their KORD scenery from scratch, along with a modest update to KLAS. That has been on their project calendar for the past 2 years, while trying to get JFK, CLT, and SDF out the door as well.

While I can't speak for them directly, I can at least say that "they are working on it."

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Joaquin Blanco
Posted
Posted

Thank you Brad.

Best regards

Joaquin Blanco

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Joaquin,

I think based on O'Hare's extensive redesign program it will be very difficult for any developer to stay "up to date" at KORD. I follow the progress through this link...

http://www.flychicago.com/community/pilotawareness/pages/default.aspx

I also use the freeware Airport Design Editor from scruffyduck to make sure both my FS2004 and FSX versions of KORD are current. I have everything up through the renumbering of 14R-32L to 15-33 in both my sims. That change happened in September 2016 and I haven't seen any newer updates since that September 2016 one.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
Joaquin,

I think based on O'Hare's extensive redesign program it will be very difficult for any developer to stay "up to date" at KORD. I follow the progress through this link...

http://www.flychicago.com/community/pilotawareness/pages/default.aspx

I also use the freeware Airport Design Editor from scruffyduck to make sure both my FS2004 and FSX versions of KORD are current. I have everything up through the renumbering of 14R-32L to 15-33 in both my sims. That change happened in September 2016 and I haven't seen any newer updates since that September 2016 one.

Randy

Holy smeg, you're right. They got rid of both 14/32s! They are going to be screwed if they get any winds above 35kts from the northwest or southeast. PDX had delays like crazy today with only the props departing runway 21 because winds were 170/32G49, and jets weren't able to accept a 10L or 10R departure, even with factoring for the crosswind and vector component!

ORD is going to need those options as it's a long taxi to 4R or 22R.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Steven Perry
Posted
Posted
They are going to be screwed if they get any winds above 35kts from the northwest or southeast.

Good thing that city isn't known for being windy.

Steven Perry

VATSIM Supervisor

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted

Well, 15-33 is still there.

KntU2Cw.jpg

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
Well, 15-33 is still there.

It is, yes, but it also not only lost its parallel runway, which would really help if winds are that gusty, but it also was shortened a little over 5000ft.

Gusts of that much from that direction would make for a very nasty crosswind component, let alone make departures miserable as the TODA may not be enough to accept the 9/27s, 10/28s, or 15/33.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

That, plus previous landings to the Northwest were done on 32R, which is now gone.

From the many updates I've looked at...

Runway 4L is seldom used for landings and has a localizer, the horizontal guidance component of an ILS system, but does not have a glide slope, the vertical component. Runway 33 (former runway 32L) was permanently closed to landings

And if you look at the approach charts for KORD you won't find 33 listed, for obvious reasons.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
That, plus previous landings to the Northwest were done on 32R, which is now gone.

From the many updates I've looked at...

Runway 4L is seldom used for landings and has a localizer, the horizontal guidance component of an ILS system, but does not have a glide slope, the vertical component. Runway 33 (former runway 32L) was permanently closed to landings

And if you look at the approach charts for KORD you won't find 33 listed, for obvious reasons.

Randy

That's interesting as well.

The only reason I can think of for not having any 33 departures is to not have a repeat of AAL191.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted
It is, yes, but it also not only lost its parallel runway, which would really help if winds are that gusty, but it also was shortened a little over 5000ft.

You're talking about the runway that was eliminated, right? Because 15-33 is 9686 ft.

They must've had a reason they did this.

I do remember taking off from 33 in rather windy conditions not long ago. Maybe a coincidence, but the few times I've been in KORD, it has mostly been rather windy.

And 4L doesn't seem to have a localizer approach anymore. I see only RNAV on skyvector.

KntU2Cw.jpg

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted
You're talking about the runway that was eliminated, right? Because 15-33 is 9686 ft.

No, he's talking about 14R/32L which is now 15/33. Back in 2005 it used to be 13,000' long, but was shortened 3,300 feet, around 2010 or 2011 I think, to make room for the 10/28's planned for the south side of the field.

You're absolutely correct about 04L losing it's ILS, though. Not sure when it went away. Was quoting from an article I had read about all the changes at O'Hare.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
Here are some AORs for different configurations. As you can see, unless they're running 9s/10s, their arrival rate gets trashed. Hopefully the winds decide to favor those runway configurations in the future :mrgreen:

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
Here are some AORs for different configurations. As you can see, unless they're running 9s/10s, their arrival rate gets trashed. Hopefully the winds decide to favor those runway configurations in the future

True, but here is why I bring this up.

Last week at KPDX, a lot of departures were 10L/10R departures were delayed because the pilots wouldn't accept the winds at the time (17032G49), because of PIC, winds being too great for the tolerance levels of the aircraft, and the crosswind and vector components being too great. Props and RJs were landing and departing 21 the entire time, but until the wind dropped to less than 35kts, none of the departures were rolling.

Now, apply that to KORD, with the 9s and 10s in use. 15 would be perfect for this, but wouldn't be used. They were going to the setup similar to KLAX where you can have simultaneous parallel approaches in effect to increase the number of arrivals and departures, but if you get winds like that, and pilots can't accept it for departure, and you've crippled the only runway suitable for those winds, you've effectively shot yourself in the foot.

Again, that would be a long conga line going to 22L, and it is even shorter than 15.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

• 2 weeks later...
Evan Kasel 1098564
Posted
Posted

Does Anyone have FSX & FS9 AFCAD/Scenery with the current runways, taxi, etc for KORD... I really need an updated version if someone wouldn't mind sharing?

• 1 month later...
James McMannamy
Posted
Posted

Here's what's going on at ORD: as mentioned, the airport is going to an east/west layout, similar to ATL. The allows the airport to run an arrival rate of 114 flights per hour, regardless of wx conditions. The FAA made changes to its rules on converging approaches a few years ago (which is why you don't see certain configurations anymore: my favorite was 10, 14R, 22R), so the only way to land that number of airplanes is in a parallel runway configuration.

A few days per year the wind blows very strongly out of the north or south and ORD is forced to land 4R or 22's (33 is NEVER used for arrivals - it's a departure only runway). The airport was designed this way: the airlines (United and American, mainly) wanted the higher arrival rate that this configuration provides 98% of the time, even if it means going to a 40 rate a few times per year for half a day. Keeping and the diagonals meant a lower arrival rate all the time. ORD is also getting away from using runways for arrivals and departures at the same time as well....the only time this happens now is when the wx is too low for PRM approaches to 10R and they have to land 9L/9R/10C while departing 9R and 10L.

Runways 32L was renamed 33 because once a set of parallels is reduced to one runway, an FAA rule says the runway has to be renamed.

On the mid shift, ORD still lands 15, 22R and 4R as single runways. During the day, ORD can't depart 33 and land 27R at the same time, same with 4L and 9L; this is a rule change from a few years ago as well.

Any other questions about the ORD operation, I can probably help.