You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Wave vs Direct sound selection

Lindsey Wiebe 1101951

Lindsey Wiebe 1101951
Posted
Posted

Hi Guys,

I was wondering what the difference between wave and directsound is? From what I can google (before someone does the LMGTFY) wave is older and directorsound is newer... now I use a Razer Kraken 7.1 v2 headset USB. I have no problem using either it seems. I probably just randomly pick on or the other. For sound output on vatsim (seeing as how the codec is older) would it be better to use wave? or would directsound be the better option?

My voice is fairly normal in RL but seems low when testing/calibrating the mic on vatsim; but sounds normal on windows options when I click "monitor device"). I've also heard myself on someone else's twitch stream before and I legit didn't know it was me for a while (there was quite a lag and I sounded super deep but that was with older headset).

Mr.

VATSIM P2

Ryan Savara 1369362
Posted
Posted

Pick whichever you please. The difference is not noticeable on most lower end headsets. I personally use Direct Sound because if my complex audio routing setup is with virtual cables and VoiceMeter Banana.

The codec is so old it almost sounds very realistic for actual VHF transmissions. There's really nothing you can do about it if it sounds fine locally, but on the network sounds bad.

Senior Student (S3)

Chicago ARTCC Events Coordinator