You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATC Reception cutting in and and out

Eric Elia 1004505

Eric Elia 1004505
Posted
Posted

I've been using Vpilot with no problems for almost 2 years. Starting this morning Receiving ATC, the controllers are cutting in and out.

I tried switching servers, I even uninstalled Vpilot and reinstalled it with no change.

Can you give me some trouble shooting suggestions please? Thank you.

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

By cutting in and out do you mean their vanishing from your list of available ATC or do you mean their sound cuts out - after a seemingly random time?

If the latter what happens when you quickly press your PTT? Do they reappear?

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Eric Elia 1004505
Posted
Posted

No the listing of online controllers does not disappear.

The sound cuts out in the middle of receiving any transmission. It happens with any and all radio traffic over the frequency that is occurring. Also, at the same time the illuminated RX goes out as well. I guess the best way to describe it would be like having a loose wire on a speaker. I'll get about 50% of any transmission (every other word or so)

I've also checked my PTT button and re[Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned it just to be sure and it made no difference.

For reference purposes, I am running window 7 - 64 and both FSX and Prepar3d. It is happening with both platforms.

Thank you for your help.

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Hi Eric

This sounds like a UDP timeout issue. The normal solution is to set up port forwarding on your router. You need to forward UDP port 3290 to your PC. Search here for "UDP TIMEOUT" - here is one such example viewtopic.php?f=132&t=72784&p=508058&hilit=udp+timeout#p508058

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Eric Elia 1004505
Posted
Posted

Good Morning Norman,

Thank you for that suggestion. I did see that in the troubleshooting guide last night as a possibility. I'll give that a try now.

Would it be normal for this to just suddenly happen like this after such a long time of working normally without having done the port forwarding previously?

Thank you.

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Anything is possible. Your ISP could have changed things overnight.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Eric Elia 1004505
Posted
Posted

I was afraid you were going to say that. Ever since Verizon sold this side of the business to Frontier Communications it's been one thing after another here.

Ok, I will keep you posted.

Eric Elia 1004505
Posted
Posted

Hi Norman,

I wanted to let you know I was able to resolve the problem.

The comment you made regarding my PTT button got me thinking what else I had changed and or altered recently. The day that vPilot stopped working as before, I had uninstalled and re-installed my Saitek radio panels.

I disabled the panel and did a quick check and the problem was gone. I have retraced my steps and also found I used an out of date driver that I think was the cause of the conflict.

Everything is now working correctly.

Thank you for your help and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance.

Eric Elia

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Thanks Eric. Glad all is sorted.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Eric Elia 1004505
Posted
Posted

Well I spoke too soon. My "fix" lasted all of 10 minutes.

I read the note in the trouble shooting guide about port forwarding. I'm a little embarr[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed to say now I'm getting in a little above my head here. Can you [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist me with a bit more detailed instructions as to what / and how to forward to?

I am able to access my routers port forwarding feature, but from there I am stuck.

Thank you.

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Post what model of router you are using. Hopefully somebody will be able to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Eric Elia 1004505
Posted
Posted

My router is an Actiontec MI424WR Rev I

Eric Elia 1004505
Posted
Posted

Resolved ! Port forwarding was the correct call to resolve my issue.

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Glad to hear the port forwarding helped.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg