You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

SimBrief and/or SkyVector

Rich Heimlich

Rich Heimlich
Posted
Posted

Much has changed during the 3 years I took off. Today it seems a lot of people use one or both of these sites for the flight planning.

I found SimBrief to be lacking until I renewed my Navigraph access and linked it.

I like SkyVector because it puts all the charts within easy reach.

What do you guys think of these two? Is there something better yet? A couple videos I watched of flights had both being used (not entirely sure why). Can you get the charts in SimBrief (and thus potentially use just it)?

Thanks for any insight.

Steven Perry
Posted
Posted

I view these as complimentary sites. Simbrief does the flight planning, briefing, and filing a sim flight plan. Once I get in the sim, Skyvector is for my charts.

SkyVector must not be used for briefings or filing VATSIM flights!

Besides, Simbrief does a lot better job at planning fuel burns, optimal altitudes etc than Skyvector for the typical VATSIM flight in an airliner.

To my knowledge Simbrief has no charts.

A site that I've used for ~15 years that does a good job with both flight planning and charts is FltPlan.com. It's not as accurate with airliners as is Simbrief, but it does have some profiles built in that do a better job than Skyvector's simplified methods. It's free and it works well with VATSIM if you do not file. I use the (also free) companion app on my phone and/or tablet to pull up charts.

Steven Perry

VATSIM Supervisor

Rich Heimlich
Posted
Posted

Might be good to have charts on my Android tablet. Hadn't considered that option previously. FltPlan definitely would work there.

It seems like such a strange oversight with SimBrief to not have charts. At least it seems like an obvious next step so maybe it'll happen.