You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Dang, so close....

Lewis Williams 1367606

Lewis Williams 1367606
Posted
Posted

Hello Everyone,

New here to VATSIM, been trying to attend an observer cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] for awhile but the dates never seem to coincide with a day I'm free.

Anyways, I'm still to make a successful flight here on the network. I did make an attempt this evening from EIDW to EGCC but after requesting clearance I had an IRS bug followed by a rather annoying issue with the APU failing to start in the iFly.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to get a good flight in soon

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

start small, much easier to get the hang of it. things happen much too quickly in jets, which is just going to very quickly overwhelm you

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Also, especially with complex add-on aircraft, make sure you're fluent in their use before taking them on the network. It's not clear from your post whether the iFly jet is something you're just starting out in, but if it is, you definitely would be well-served by taking on one new complex task at a time.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Lewis Williams 1367606
Posted
Posted
Also, especially with complex add-on aircraft, make sure you're fluent in their use before taking them on the network. It's not clear from your post whether the iFly jet is something you're just starting out in, but if it is, you definitely would be well-served by taking on one new complex task at a time.

I consider myself to be quite proficient with both the iFly 737 and the CS757 but I did crack under the pressure a little bit (nerves n all) and I rushed the startup which meant I made a mistake somewhere along the line.

For future reference, is it against network policy to prep the aircraft (APU running, IRS aligned, FSPax loaded etc) before connecting? That would take a little pressure off if so.

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
For future reference, is it against network policy to prep the aircraft (APU running, IRS aligned, FSPax loaded etc) before connecting? That would take a little pressure off if so.

Not at all. As long as you connect in a ramp area and not on a taxiway/runway, you can connect in any state you would like.

Blue skies!

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted

I always do offline everything I can do offline and connect when I'm ready to get ATIS and clearance. It makes no sense to connect earlier.

KntU2Cw.jpg

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
It makes no sense to connect earlier.

Probably true, but it doesn't really do any harm, either, minus the negligible bandwidth and processor time consumed. The only time it's specifically frowned upon (that I've seen) is during a huge event such as Cross The Pond where gate space is at a dire premium.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Lewis Williams 1367606
Posted
Posted

I can see how connecting to start a 15 minute C&D plus filing could be a problem in an event. I'll probably get everything set up and ready to go before connecting next time. Less pressure!

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Lewis,

There are pros and cons to both sides. When I fly an aircraft equipped with an updated FMC from navigraph I always log in at my gate...even during Cross the Pond...and call for my clearance based on the flight plan I submitted first. I like to fly what ATC wants me to fly...when able...and can be frustrating sometimes to grab a real world flight plan, plug all the data in to the FMC before connecting and then get a completely different departure than the one filed.

That's when mistakes programming the FMC happen in my experience and I can program/reprogram one pretty quickly after all these years. I'd rather do it right once than redo it twice. Plus two of the three ACARS I use for VAs I am a member of get all "why isn't VATSIM started yet? Start VATSIM then come back and talk to me". One of them makes me wait until the next VATSIM refresh before it will even let me start the ACARS process of the same identical info I give VATSIM.

I look at it this way. If I log in and am doing productive flight prep activities I am not misusing bandwidth. Now, if I log in and then go grab a smoke or dinner that's a different matter.

I'm forever hitting the wrong XFEED LSK on the Q400 though and then got to plug them all right back in.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training