You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

A newb is in need of help!

Adam Livay 1351396

Adam Livay 1351396
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi there!

I'm new to VATSIM and to this forum, and I am also super confused about absolutely everything.

• How to get FSX-SE to do its thing with vPilot?
  • is the pilot training stuff voluntary? I need some way to get started though... (main point of confusion)
  • Can someone just fly with me periodically and help? I would love to have a mentor

Thanks for helping a poor noob out! I'm actually a gigantic avgeek and can't wait to get started.

Edited by Guest

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

you have to be more specific on your first question. its often as simple as launching the sim, parking somewhere at the airport (away from runways and taxiways. often at a terminal or general aviation/cargo ramp), launching vpilot and connecting.

or do you mean with model matching?

second and third question, yes its completely voluntary. there are many groups that can help you. VATSTAR is one that is often recommended and may provide what you are looking for.

Lindsey Wiebe 1101951
Posted
Posted
VATSTAR is one that is often recommended and may provide what you are looking for.

This +1 http://www.vatstar.com/

Mr.

VATSIM P2

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

While Model matching can be a bit complicated (you need to have all the liveries and aircraft installed in the simulator for you to see them) - Vpilot can use default aircraft for you to see at least 'something' where other people are (although it will be lots of default A321/737/CRJ/Cessnas etc and not cool liveries of other airlines and the right aircraft types).

Meanwhile it's simple as "Load up the simulator, Position the aircraft at a gate/apron with the engines shut down, open vpilot, and click the "Connect" button on the top left, and enter the details of your callsign (max 10 characters - preferably 3 letters then a few numbers or an aircraft registration which might be 5 letters long) and click ok. There's usually a message that comes up (and the message received sound) as you connect.

Remember, Air Traffic Control and other aircraft are real humans, and we aren't paid to be on Vatsim, and occasionally do other things like go to school or work, sleep, go outside the house to see friends and family and so on, so sometimes not many people will be around.

To see a graphical representation of where other people are, try http://www.vattastic.com/ - That way you can load up somewhere that someone is controlling based on the map.

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

Adam Livay 1351396
Posted
Posted

It was just that the radio and squawk didn't show up in the vPilot. That was the problem.

Morten Jelle
Posted
Posted

The radio and squawk will not be shown anywhere in vPilot. You enter that in your aircraft, then it transmits that to vPilot that transmits it to the network.

Morten Jelle

VATSIM Network Supervisor, Team Lead - Supervisor Team 1

spacer.png

Semir Gebran
Posted
Posted

Hello,

Depending on your time zone, I might mentor you outside of existing pilot training schemes.

Take care,

Semir

Hi there!

I'm new to VATSIM and to this forum, and I am also super confused about absolutely everything.

• How to get FSX-SE to do its thing with vPilot?
  • is the pilot training stuff voluntary? I need some way to get started though... (main point of confusion)
  • Can someone just fly with me periodically and help? I would love to have a mentor

Thanks for helping a poor noob out! I'm actually a gigantic avgeek and can't wait to get started.

• 2 weeks later...
Charles Blankenship
Posted
Posted

Try Delta Virtual Airlines ... they have everything you need as far as training is concerned as well as courses to help you become P1 and P2 certified and two more courses called OLP for Online Pilot and VFR Online Pilot.

One specific docomeent in the docomeent library is dedicated solely to communicating with ATC in both a VFR and IFR environment.

It is a huge airline and just completed its 1,000,000th flight.

C. T. Blankenship

DVA11584