You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Time to destroy the noob with a question lol

Andy Gallis 1397789

Andy Gallis 1397789
Posted
Posted

Have searched with zero luck for the answer to this question and I'm sure the vets are tired of hearing it lol. Just flew from KCRE-KHXD both are towered fields, but there was no ATC via vatsim. In this case do I treat it as uncontrolled field tune to 122.8 and just monitor if no traffic, advise intentions if there is. Or, do I tune to the frequency of the published TWR/GRD for said airfields and listen for vatsim traffic.

Nick Warren
Posted
Posted
I treat it as uncontrolled field tune to 122.8 and just monitor if no traffic, advise intentions if there is.

In the spirit of Vatsim, that is the correct answer, although some will suggest you advise your intentions regardless. Only other thing to ensure (as Vatsim provides a "top down" service) is that there are no overlying controllers (CTR, APP) for that area. Not a bad question; have fun!

Nick

Andy Gallis 1397789
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the fast response. Wanted to make sure of this while I'm still jumping around cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] d and g airspace before I headed to someplace larger

Lindsey Wiebe 1101951
Posted
Posted
I treat it as uncontrolled field tune to 122.8 and just monitor if no traffic, advise intentions if there is.

In the spirit of Vatsim, that is the correct answer, although some will suggest you advise your intentions regardless. Only other thing to ensure (as Vatsim provides a "top down" service) is that there are no overlying controllers (CTR, APP) for that area. Not a bad question; have fun!

Nick

1. positive of not broadcasting intentions if there's no one else around is the Unicom 122.80 broadcasts over a very wide range. For instance when I'm climbing out of YVR (Vancouver) I can "hear" aircraft reporting intentions descending and starting approaches into SEA (Seattle) over a hundred NM away.

2. HOWEVER (there's always a catch!) if there is someone on the ground at your destination they could benefit from your calls... so it depends how attentive you are to the likes of VATspy or vattastic and spatially aware you are on the comings and goings of traffic around you.

Mr.

VATSIM P2

Andy Gallis 1397789
Posted
Posted

On the same topic and along the lines of the top down theory

If there is no TWR or GRD at your cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] D location but there is a CTR within range do you depart with 122.8 then pick up CTR as you depart the cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] d. I seen on here where sometimes CTR will play all three roles if they have time to but wasn't to sure on the rule of thumb

Coming from flying in the real word we would depart on Unicom then pickup CTR.

Nick Warren
Posted
Posted

CTR will generally provide service for the D's, but that is not always a hard and fast rule. Best bet there is just to contact them as you would any local facility. Departing G's and surface E's would be a unicom departure, then pick up your flight following with the CTR when airborne. This is VFR of course. IFR, you will either pick up your IFR clearance on the ground, and get a departure release then contact when airborne, or depart VFR and pick up your IFR when airborne.

Scott DeWoody
Posted
Posted

It never hurts to ask the CTR, or APP controller if you need to contact them.

Scott DeWoody

CEO - American Virtual Airlines

joinava dot org

y572_1.jpg