You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VAs Claiming to Own Callsigns .

Ewan Douglas 899831

Ewan Douglas 899831
Posted
Posted

So yeah, I had a spam of PMs while crusing along the network with a WOW ICAO code (i.e WOW Air Iceland), claiming that he has exclusive use of any WOW callsign for his random VA ..

Correct me if I am wrong but nobody can claim a callsign can they?

goflymevk8.jpg

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Correct, first come, first serve. Nobody can reserve callsigns. In case that this happens again, please ask a Supervisor for a [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance. In case that you do not know how to do it, just type ".wallop YOUR-TEXT" into your pilot client, e.g. ".wallop ABC1234 is asking me to surrender my callsign as he claims he is owning it, please [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist me".

Do you still have the details of that pilot/callsign/date/time? And maybe a screenshot and/or chatlog? If yes, please send them to me as a private message here, NOT publicly.

Ewan Douglas 899831
Posted
Posted
Correct, first come, first serve. Nobody can reserve callsigns. In case that this happens again, please ask a Supervisor for a [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance. In case that you do not know how to do it, just type ".wallop YOUR-TEXT" into your pilot client, e.g. ".wallop ABC1234 is asking me to surrender my callsign as he claims he is owning it, please [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist me".

Do you still have the details of that pilot/callsign/date/time? And maybe a screenshot and/or chatlog? If yes, please send them to me as a private message here, NOT publicly.

Sadly I am on XP and the client for that is a bit clunky with text (i.e it doesn't come up with a window and username like the FS/P3D clients_ have

goflymevk8.jpg

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted
Sadly I am on XP and the client for that is a bit clunky with text (i.e it doesn't come up with a window and username like the FS/P3D clients_ have

Not sure what you're saying here. You can take chat screenshots in X-plane just fine. If you don't have it, that's another matter.

KntU2Cw.jpg

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

Yea, nobody can own 3 letters and a collection of up to 5 digits.

.wallop (type a message here) to talk to a supervisor.

or ask them if they have a signed letter from Skúli Mogensen, the CEO of the real airline WOW air and photographic id

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
or ask them if they have a signed letter from Skúli Mogensen, the CEO of the real airline WOW air and photographic id

... and on VATSIM even that wouldn't matter.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

... and on VATSIM even that wouldn't matter.

Quite true. We're not using WOW as a commercial venture to make profit, or claiming ownership of it. For all intents it's a collection of 3 letters of the alphabet, or a pre-existing word in this case.

wow

waʊ

informal exclamation

1.expressing astonishment or admiration.

"‘Wow!’ he cried enthusiastically"

noun

2.a sensational success.

"your play's a wow"

verb

3.impress and excite (someone) greatly.

"they wowed audiences on their recent British tour"

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015