You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

auto-tag

Jason Helkenberg 913355

Jason Helkenberg 913355
Posted
Posted

Would it be possible to auto-tag aircraft based on the information in the scratchpad? For instance, aircraft departing DFW with an east gate scratchpad of "THO" for THORR would auto-tag to the east departure even if it departed off the west runway. I'm no programmer and not sure what it would require but I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming would need to be based on what position is open and each position would have its own auto track fixes.

Jason Helkenberg

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Whenever someone asks me if a feature is possible, my standard reply is that anything is possible given enough time and/or money.

If I were going to build in some intelligence into auto-[Mod - Happy Thoughts]igning tracks to controllers, I would want to mirror the real world as much as possible. I'm not exactly sure how it's done in the real STARS system, but I believe it's based on fix pairs in the flight plan. I don't know if it's based on scratch pad like in your suggestion here, but it would essentially be the same thing ... it would be based on a departure gate.

Anyway, it would be a fairly substantial update, since it would have to keep track of which sectors are staffed, and be able to deal with consolidation of sectors, etc. I don't see it happening any time soon. Good suggestion, though!

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Jason Helkenberg 913355
Posted
Posted

I work in the RW D10 tracon and can ask some of the FE there.

Jason Helkenberg

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

It is based off fix pairs. Handoffs and auto-tracks are built off of those.

• 3 weeks later...
Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted
Whenever someone asks me if a feature is possible, my standard reply is that anything is possible given enough time and/or money.

!

Does this also apply for QU Reroute command in vERAM? Let me grab my checkbook for Tea Party

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Sorry, I don't accept checks ... cash or flight simulator parts are acceptable forms of payment.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• 4 years later...
Shane VanHoven
Posted
Posted
On 7/19/2017 at 5:53 PM, Daniel Hawton said:

It is based off fix pairs. Handoffs and auto-tracks are built off of those.

This is correct. Although I wonder if having vSTARS work this way would even be beneficial. It might be better to have the user specify when fix they get autotrack on, similar to how the autotrack command works now. 

For example: In order to autotrack aircraft departing on ORCKA and OSHNN sids, maybe a command ".autotrack ORCKA OSHNN" or something to that effect.

That way the facility engineers wouldn't have to go in and create all the possible departure splits for every single airport in every single tracon, controllers could just configure it themselves at the start of the session. 

Although I do wonder how often departure sectors on VATSIM get de-combined for this feature to really be that useful.