You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Reconnecting voice bug.

Adrian Bjerke

Adrian Bjerke
Posted
Posted

There is a bug in vpilot that have been since V2 now that is very annoying as an ATC during busier times on the frequency.

If a pilot reconnect with the same callsign this sometimes happends.

If a pilot reconnect with a different callsign this always happends.

The bug is that if someone have done one of the above they will hear ATC and pilots on the freq until they press the transmit button, suddently they do not hear anyone anymore and this causes troubles and unnecessary delays on the frequency.

Adrian Bjerke
[email protected]
VATSIM Scandinavia

Logo VACCSCA

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

This is the first I've heard of this ... seems like I would be hearing about it constantly, given that reconnecting is pretty common.

I will test it out tonight.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Morten Jelle
Posted
Posted

I think this is related to that problem, we have with the voice servers, that if you reconnect to fast and you have been onto a voice server, that you will suddenly appear twice on the server, and you can hear yourself talking. It has been a long time, since I had the issue myself, but I experience it as a controller, when a few pilots looses their connection etc.

Morten Jelle

VATSIM Network Supervisor, Team Lead - Supervisor Team 1

spacer.png

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

Ross,

For what it's worth, I've also experienced this recently. I'd put it down to being 'just one of those things', but seeing Adrian's post above it makes a lot of sense.

On each occasion when I've lost comms, it's been on the return sector of a flight (i.e. I've flown outbound with one callsign, logged out, logged back in with another callsign and flown the return). Each time I've been tuned to a frequency, listening quite happily to comms, hit the TX to speak and then absolutely nothing. Disconnecting and then reconnecting to the network solved it.

On each occasion I've not been connected to to a voice server (i.e. on UNICOM) when disconnecting and reconnecting on the ground 'downroute' -- the problem has manifested itself later (hours later in one case) on when tuning an active frequency.

Vice President, Pilot Training

Joaquin Blanco
Posted
Posted

What I keep experiencing is being in a controlled area tuned to the Controller frequency hearing all the comm exchanges and then suddenly all goes quiet for a while, at this point realising that a busy freq wouldn't be so quiet for such a long period I disconnect and close down vPilot and restart it and all works fine again. During this quiet period had a few instances where controller issued me with an instruction without either being aware that the comms had been lost. This has been happening for quite some time now. - I run vPilot in a Networked set-up where vPilot and voice are on the 2nd PC. Annoying as it can be I am now paying more attention to the empty comms gaps, and sometimes if I press PTT it sorts itself out, other times it doesn't work and I cannot tune to frequencies.

Regards

Best regards

Joaquin Blanco

Lindsey Wiebe 1101951
Posted
Posted

I had this happen to me yesterday; flew into SEA talking to SEA_TWR, taxi in shut down, changed aircraft (so disconnect and reconnect). Talked to SEA_GND no problem, handed over to SEA_TWR... now when I push PTT I get the vPilot "bzzzt" but the TX button light up blue, I get no response, but apparently TWR could hear me and issued me instructions. So I could transmit dispite the 'bzzzt' but I could not hear him. Switched back to GND com check both ways 5/5. Back to TWR 'bzzzt' but again he could hear me but I could not hear him. I could not hear anyone on the TWR freq.

Mr.

VATSIM P2

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
What I keep experiencing is being in a controlled area tuned to the Controller frequency hearing all the comm exchanges and then suddenly all goes quiet for a while, at this point realising that a busy freq wouldn't be so quiet for such a long period I disconnect and close down vPilot and restart it and all works fine again. During this quiet period had a few instances where controller issued me with an instruction without either being aware that the comms had been lost. This has been happening for quite some time now. - I run vPilot in a Networked set-up where vPilot and voice are on the 2nd PC. Annoying as it can be I am now paying more attention to the empty comms gaps, and sometimes if I press PTT it sorts itself out, other times it doesn't work and I cannot tune to frequencies.

This sounds like the cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ic UDP timeout problem. Do you have UDP port 3290 forwarded to the machine running vPIlot voice?

Joaquin Blanco
Posted
Posted

Ross thanks for coming back, will check it out this evening and let you know.

Regards

Best regards

Joaquin Blanco

• 1 month later...
Timothy Barker 1202744
Posted
Posted

Ross, I use vPilot in a non-networked mode and I have realized this twice. I am flying along and if I do not transmit for a while I notice I haven't heard anything for a while. I then just press the PTT and all comes back.

27.png

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

That's the cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ic UDP timeout problem. Ensure you are port forwarding per the vPilot docomeentation. There are three steps in the Installation section; it's the third step....

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

• 2 weeks later...
Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I believe I have fixed the issue where if you reconnect with a different callsign, you cannot hear a controller that you were connected to on the previous flight. This fix is currently available only in the Beta update channel. I will release it in the Stable channel once it has been tested for a while.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Nice! Happened to me during FNO this past Friday. Will be nice to have that behind us.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Joaquin Blanco
Posted
Posted
That's the cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ic UDP timeout problem. Ensure you are port forwarding per the vPilot docomeentation. There are three steps in the Installation section; it's the third step....

Late responding to this post, did as suggested and have had no further issues.

Best regards

Joaquin Blanco