You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New Pilot - First flight questions

Jason Fearing

Jason Fearing
Posted
Posted

I (almost) completed my first flight on Vatsim last night as N3486 a Pilatus PC-12 flying from KFTT to KESF (they're two FBOs I own in FSEconomy). Regrettably some real-life distractions popped up right as I hit the Houston center controller and I disconnected, paused my flight and resumed it later. Good landing, though.

I had a few questions that I found some conflicting answers on across the web.

1.) Houston Center came online when I was midway through my flight and his region covered most of my descent and arrival into KESF. I've seen conflicting "first steps" of reaching out to them just as I enter their coverage area or waiting for a contact me message. Controller preference? Pilot discretion? "It varies...?"

2.) When I perform my initial contact do I introduce myself as Pilatus 3486, Pilatus N3486 or N3486? I've read that I should never abbreviate my tail number until ATC does it and then follow suit. It's always better to do the full callsign if unsure. But where does the equipment type fit into this equation? I should add, I will probably rarely if ever fly for a VA, carrier or in tubeliners but I understand that I would rarely use equipment type if I was. I did see a YouTube video from Aviation Pro or Matt Davies (can't recall exactly) where they stated that equipment type is usually required in EU airspace but I will rarely (if ever) leave the US until I feel very comfortable with my communication skills.

3.) At the time I was entering Houston Center I was at one-six-thousand (16,000) descending for my IAF altitude of 2000. My transponder was set to 2200 and I was following my published flight plan. I had the local weather (Active Sky Next) and had adjusted my altimeter to the field (30.12). My intention on the initial call was to say the following:

"Good evening Houston Center, Pilatus N3486 descending one-six-thousand for 2000, landing runway zero-niner at Esler Regional."

Would that have been the correct call?

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Hey Jason, welcome to VATSIM!

1) It's always preferred that you make the initial call. You never know if the controller was busy and maybe missed you. Better that you call first, even if you are not entirely sure you are in their airspace.

2) I forget what the AIM says regarding who has to initiate the shortening. Call up initially as your full callsign. Once the controller has acknowledged the full callsign, feel free to shorten it to your equiptment type and the last 3 letters of your callsign (or 4+ if necessary). (I believe the pilot has to initiate the shortening but I could be wrong).

3) Yup, that works.

Good luck!

Jason Fearing
Posted
Posted

Josh -

Excellent, thank you for the quick response. Noted on the first two remarks and the third. Glad to hear that my intentions were appropriate.

Follow up question, if you don't mind...

Would he follow up by identifying me on the radar and then [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign me a transponder code? As well as potentially making any flight adjustments? I heard another pilot ask for IFR clearance who was already airborne when he contacted. That IFR clearance is only asked for on departure (you originate in his controlled airspace) whereas because I'm arriving to it and I don't need to ask for said IFR landing clearance?

Thanks,

Jason

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
Would he follow up by identifying me on the radar and then [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign me a transponder code?

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign a transponder code (there are other things too, but that's probably what they'll do), and from that identify you. If you are at 16000, you might get a different runway [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ignment, and you will likely be told to expect some approach.

I heard another pilot ask for IFR clearance who was already airborne when he contacted.

There are many instances where you may receive IFR clearance airborne. But simply put, you would get it if you were transitioning from VFR to IFR (thus requiring the clearance), or if you need a new clearance. If you are an airborne IFR flight that's already departed/enroute before the controller came on, they'll treat you as if you had clearance.

Jason Fearing
Posted
Posted

Josh - Excellent, thank you for that clarification!

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

To augment on #2: You'd call in as Pilatus 3486. ATC may initiate a shortened callsign (i.e. Pilatus 486), and once ATC shortens, you may also.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
To augment on #2: You'd call in as Pilatus 3486. ATC may initiate a shortened callsign (i.e. Pilatus 486), and once ATC shortens, you may also.

Clarification: in the US, with a general aviation callsign, you either start with the make or model, or the leading "November" -- but usually not both.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

While one may choose, I suppose, to start with November, using the make or model aircraft provides the controller and everyone on frequency more situational awareness. "November 66162" tells me only that you are a US-registered aircraft, whereas "Skyhawk 66162" tells me a lot about your performance/capability. Perhaps that's why in the FAA's Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM), ALL of the examples used in sections 4-2-3, Contact Procedure, and 4-2-4, Aircraft Callsigns, utilize the make or model, not simply November.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

I agree with Don that the aircraft model is preferred... I only pointed it out because the original poster's examples he included both the make and the N.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png