You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

IFR Departure Procedure When No Controller Is In Range

Al Klayton 1398552

Al Klayton 1398552
Posted
Posted

I am new to VATSIM and would like clarification/verification on the recommended procedure if departing IFR from an airport without a controller in range.

I would expect that you should file a flight plan, select your own transponder code, fly the flight plan and then contact the first controller (Center, Approach/Departure or Tower) that comes in range as indicated by a frequency appearing on vPilot with a position report if you are about to enter their airspace. Or, do you contact the first controller that is in radio range as indicated by vPilot regardless of airspace considerations?

Regarding airspace, how on VATspy do you identify the boundaries of Approach/Departure -- the Green circle?

If the only controller on line is the Tower at your destination, can I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume you should contact them as soon as a frequency shows up on vPilot? I am not aware of airspace boundaries for a Tower.

Thx,

Al

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Welcome to VATSIM, Al.

select your own transponder code
Generally, you'll want to select from one of two commonly-used, non-discrete transponder codes. In VATUSA, those would be 1200 (VFR) or 2200 (IFR). Simply picking a random code runs the risk of duplicating a code that a controller has already issued to other traffic.

then contact the first controller (Center, Approach/Departure or Tower) that comes in range as indicated by a frequency appearing on vPilot with a position report. Or, do you contact the first controller that not only is in radio range as indicated by vPilot, but also who's airspace you are about to enter?
Your radio range (the thing that determines which controllers get displayed in vPilot) is large enough that you'll typically see controllers far in advance from entering their airspace. So, no, you can't rely on that as the sole indication as to which controller to contact.

For CTR controllers, the decision should be obvious - ARTCC boundaries are depicted on navigation charts, so you should always know which ARTCC you're in (or approaching within the next 10 NM or so) and be able to contact the appropriate controller based on that.

APP/DEP get a little trickier, and there's no simple rule-of-thumb that accurately covers all TRACONs throughout the US. Try checking their controller info to get an idea as to the area they cover, and, if nothing else, contacting them too soon won't hurt - the worst that happens is that they inform you to continue monitoring UNICOM and either their frequency as well or they give you an idea as to when/where you should contact them again.

Regarding airspace, how on VATspy do you identify the boundaries of Approach/Departure -- the Green circle?
The most correct answer is: You don't. The shape and size (both laterally and vertically) of TRACONs throughout the US is quite varied. As I mentioned above, try checking the controller info to see if it contains any hints. As for determining whether a given satellite airport is serviced by a major airport's TRACON, you can use SkyVector/AirNav (or AFDs) to get an idea. You'll see the TRACON's name (e.g. "Houston Approach") listed under the 'Airport Communications' section that lists various frequencies relevant to that airport.

If the only controller on line is the Tower at your destination, can I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume you should contact them as soon as a frequency shows up on vPilot? I am not aware of airspace boundaries for a Tower.
Again, you'll see the controller in your pilot client much, much sooner than you'll be near their airspace. You can probably [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume the surface-area ring of around the airport is more-or-less their lateral boundaries and plan to contact them a few miles outside of that.

Doyle Edwards 1132521
Posted
Posted
I am new to VATSIM and would like clarification/verification on the recommended procedure if departing IFR from an airport without a controller in range.

I would expect that you should file a flight plan, select your own transponder code, fly the flight plan and then contact the first controller (Center, Approach/Departure or Tower) that comes in range as indicated by a frequency appearing on vPilot with a position report if you are about to enter their airspace. Or, do you contact the first controller that is in radio range as indicated by vPilot regardless of airspace considerations?

Thx,

Al

Hi, Al, I wanted to add a recommendation to begin with the Vatsim Pilot Academy to start with P1 Online Pilot which would answer alot of your questions, also will bring more confidence in using the network. I just p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed my written for P1 and know a little more, but I do have a forgetful mind

https://academy.vatsim.net/

Use your VATSIM login to sign in.

Al Klayton 1398552
Posted
Posted

Good info, thanks for the inputs!

Al

Thimo Koolen
Posted
Posted

You'll contact the Tower controller when you're fully established on the ILS or in any other way are in the final aproach fase of your flight.

spacer.png

ACCNL4 (Training Director) - Dutch VACC