You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Win7 - Can not install FSX or FS9

Ray Ihnot 891261

Ray Ihnot 891261
Posted
Posted

FSX refuses to be installed, and FS9 refuses to be run even under Admin! WTH?

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

What types of error messages are you getting?

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Ray,

Can't speak for FSX, but I suspect I know why FS9 won't run.

First, I also use Win7, Pro, 64-bit and both FS2004 and FSX work just fine on my system, so there is hope.

My suspicion about FS2004 is that you have a completely up to date version of Win7 with all the Microsoft and Windows updates installed. There was an update to Win7 issued by Microsoft on Sept. 11 2015 that blocks many legacy games, including Flight Simulator 2004, that require a disk in a hard drive to run.

Following the trend of Windows 10, Microsoft released security update KB3086255 for Windows 7, Windows 8.1 & Windows Vista under the guise of a Security Update that intentionally disables the service which runs the secdrv.sys driver...a component of the SafeDisk protection...which FS2004 uses to run.

As a result, this prevents the disk-based (CD) version from running, and you may receive an "Access Denied - Please login with administrator privileges and try again" or similar permissions error. Many other legacy games are also affected.

It would seem the update simply disables the service, rather than removing secdrv.sys completely, like Windows 10 does. Search for your installed updates and see if KB3086255 is installed. If is is, try uninstalling, as I have, and check to see if FS2004 will start now.

Can't help you with FSX. It's been so long since I installed it I cannot remember if there was anything specific I had to do to install it. It runs without a disk in a drive, so it isn't the KB3086255 issue with FSX.

As Don suggested, the error message will help a lot, especially with FSX...and FS2004 if it's not the KB3086255 issue.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training