You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Navigation incomlete

Andrej Sitar 1402754

Andrej Sitar 1402754
Posted
Posted

Hi sir's.

Got a question about navigation.. Imagine this situation (maybe it is common i dont know) :

Yesterday I was flying from A to B. I have programmed my FCU from departure airport through all the waypoints and directs.

(Arivall was not programmed yet, cause i didnt know which rwy is active and what star or approach should I take.)

So I was waiting for an ATC to give me more info.

Question : What to do, if you have just reached your last programmed waypoint, and you still dont have info from an ATC what to do next.

1. Just fly the current heading at current altitude and waiting for an ATC ? OR

2. Should I contact ATC by myslef few miles before i reach my last programmed waypoit ?

Thx in advance..

Morten Jelle
Posted
Posted

You can either ask ATC for instructions before reaching the last waypoint (also defined as a clearance limit) - and if you haven't got anything enter a holding pattern over the waypoint and await further instructions.

Morten Jelle

VATSIM Network Supervisor, Team Lead - Supervisor Team 1

spacer.png

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming you were asking about flying in Europe, in which case I would [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume Morten's answer is correct.

If you were flying in the US, you'd proceed direct from your last waypoint to your clearance limit (typically your destination airport). If you were still out of communication upon reaching the clearance limit, you'd hold until reaching an EFC time (if given; if not, skip the hold and continue). After that, you'd proceed direct to "a fix from which an approach begins", holding until the approach would bring you to the airport at your filed/amended ETE. This is all [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming you're in IMC; if you encounter VMC that would allow you to proceed and land visually as if you were VFR, that's probably a better option.

Granted, it seems unlikely you'd ever have to do all of that on VATSIM... unless the controller stepped away and was gone longer than expected.

Andrej Sitar 1402754
Posted
Posted

Thank you guys really appreciate your fast replies..

Now everything is clear to me..

THX