You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Flying from State to State in the US

Alfred Jones 899576

Alfred Jones 899576
Posted
Posted

Been flying since 1984, starting with a Commodore 64 computer and now with a gaming computer. I have always made my flights a challenge, by flying the old fashion way. My goal is to fly from each major and minor airport at each state, complete that state then go to another one. Starting in Sept 17 of last year have flown to and from major and minor airports, (four letter ICAO codes only). Took off from KPMZ Plymouth, North Carolina and from there flown to other airports within the state of North Carolina, then I proceeded to the other states to do the same thing. I have ventured forth to all the upper eastern states, the southern eastern states and now making my way thru Mississippi. So far completed 19 states, and still flying.

You may asked why such a demanding venture? I fly old school, no GPS, no on board computer, using the old Jeppesen slide flight computer. I fly VOR to VOR and or NDB only, and I fly only in the DC3. Do not use any other add-on's, like FSNavigator.

I like the challenge, no auto-land. I draw out my flight on paper, VOR's, headings, nautical miles, waypoints and so forth.

It will be one year soon and at my rate (I'm 73 years old for your info) it should take me approximately another 5 years or more to complete.

I'm I crazy, no, it's just this if you are going to simulate flying, then simulate flying. Don't let the computer do all the flying.

For me and at my age, unfortunately I have to hit the pause button, because if I step away, she will crash. Oh I make sure I'm not in an ATC controlled area, keep a honey bucket close by, ha! just in case.

Have fun guys.....

"Oldtoot"

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted (edited)

That's awesome and glad to see your post on line, Alfred. I posted over at the OWVA forums again asking about how things were.

I'm doing 50 states also, but only state capital to state capital. Makes for some interesting flights and the choice of aircraft changes with each one. I'm getting them all in, from the Boeing big tin right down to the DC-7/6/4/3, the Connie, even a C-87, and the C-185 Skywagon from time to time, depending on the leg length.

Have it all mapped out and, like you, trying to go VOR to VOR/NDB. I'm also redoing Amelia Earhart's flight around the world in the Lockheed Electra L10E. Made it all the way to Karachi so far. Using the Blitzer Bubble Sextant and taking Sun/Star shots for navigation. Believe it or not, it actually works in both FS2004 and FSX.

Discussion Thread is here... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=71885 ...and I just noticed the screenshots are old Photobucket ones before they locked out 3rd party postings. I'll have to find them and repost to IMGUR and get the screenshots back. (EDIT: Fixed screenshots)

Keep us posted on how yours is going.

Randy

Edited by Guest

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Nick Dobda 1345456
Posted
Posted

Funny to see this post. I've been on a very similar journey that I started back in January. Here's the map and the list from vatstats.

I only have up to two hours a night to fly, so routes are generally around 45 - 60 minutes in the air. I try to hit most commercial airports with over 100K flights a year. Using the NGX -800.

https://www.vatstats.net/pilots/1345456

2s7t4t3.jpg