You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATIS - non controlled airports

Nick Dobda 1345456

Nick Dobda 1345456
Posted
Posted

Sorry if this has been answered (I couldn't find an answer) -

Obviously some airports have ATIS frequency available on VATSIM at any given time, and the ATIS broadcast includes the Phonetic Alphabet of the version - so you can remind controllers which version you have on board.

I run AS16 real time, so weather is always current and mostly matches the ATIS broadcasts. And I can look up the weather in the sim at any time to get the weather anywhere... but the weather readout in the game does not include the Phonetic Alphabet of the version of the weather.

So for example, last night I was going into an un-controlled airport, and the regional controller asked me to confirm when I had the weather for where I was headed.

When I checked the weather, I said "Denver Center we have the current weather for Bismark and request the visual for XX"

This seems awkward - I'd think a proper response would be something like "Denver Center we have Alpha weather on board for Bismark and request the visual for XX"

What is proper... and what is expected on VATSIM from the controllers?

Camden Bruno
Posted
Posted (edited)

Nick,

Good question. There is a difference between an ATIS, found at towered (controlled) airports, and an AWOS/ASOS found at untowered airports.

The ATIS (Automatic Terminal Information Service) is altered by a controller to include the current runway configuration, NOTAMs, etc. This is what you'll hear that has an advertised phonetic letter.

AWOS (Automated Weather Observing System) and ASOS (Automated Surface Observing Systems) systems are completed automated systems, which usually have little-to-no human interaction. It consists of a weather station on the surface of the airport, which reads weather using a variety of different instruments. Eventually (without getting into the technical portion), it produces a METAR and broadcasts that automated weather over a specified frequency.

With that said, you did everything correct. If you are flying into a towered airport with an ATIS, you should advise the controller that you have "Information [Phonetic Letter here]." If you are flying into a non-towered airport, you should advise the controller that you simply "have the weather." You'll also hear a lot of pilots refer to weather as "the numbers."

A little side-note based on what you said in your post. Did you know that controllers are not authorized to issue you a visual approach to a specific runway at a non-towered airport? In other words, a controller cannot state "Cleared visual approach, Runway XX" if he is clearing you into an airport that does not have a control tower. Reason being, the airport in non-towered and, therefore, the controller doesn't have authority over the "active runway." That said, he/she can only state "Cleared visual approach to the [airport name here] airport."

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Edited by Guest

Cam B.
VATSIM Supervisor

Nick Dobda 1345456
Posted
Posted

Excellent, thanks for the prompt response.