You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VATSIM and You Tube

Howard Evans 1404841

Howard Evans 1404841
Posted
Posted

I am a newbe to the sim world. I flew years ago in a Cessna Skyhawk in CA. I only now discovered how much the flight simulator hobby has grown and improved in realism.

I first learned of virtual ATC networking through Pilotedge but learned that it is West Coast focused. Scanning Google led me to VATSIM. I did have the experience of viewing a number of You Tubes which show all kinds of "trolling" and any number of aircraft flying with abandonment in controlled airspace, ATC being ignored, etc. B747 "driving" across gr[Mod - Happy Thoughts] at the airport, Pipers crashing into the tower and other aircraft crashing into each other.

I couldn't seem to find videos for VATSIM involving pilot conduct that was reasonable and all were a lot younger than myself. So, it raises a question; I was expecting realism not silliness. Am I taking VATSIM too serious, the website and info not withstanding?

I'd really not like to get into sim flying with virtual ATC environment, only to find myself being sat on by a "heavy"

and/or sworn at by one or more pilots for requesting take off at an airport.

That said, I'm looking into the P1 training too, but thought I'd better ask after watching those videos.

Thanks for reading,

Howard

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Howard,

have a look for VATSIM Let's Play videos on YouTube. Futhermore, there are some very active members who stream and record their flights at Twitch.

Johnny Coughlan
Posted
Posted

I'm sorry but there are no questions needing any sort of raising here, there are a gazillion tutorial, game play(what VATSIM is meant to be), pilot streams and ATC streams that showcase what the network is about.

I've nearly 5000 hours logged as ATC and the 'troll's' have been a minimum and I mean a minimum, don't judge anything until you've experienced it....

ffb62aecbc37700f2eafe15f3ff58941.png

Looks like you've not even connected to the network yet, I'd suggest logging on and experiencing for yourself.

Camden Bruno
Posted
Posted

Here's an accurate video of what VATSIM, and Boston Virtual ARTCC, are all about...

Cam B.
VATSIM Supervisor

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
I did have the experience of viewing a number of You Tubes which show all kinds of "trolling" and any number of aircraft flying with abandonment in controlled airspace, ATC being ignored, etc. B747 "driving" across gr[Mod - Happy Thoughts] at the airport, Pipers crashing into the tower and other aircraft crashing into each other.

Look again -- most of those "Trolling" videos take place on the old FSX multiplayer servers, not on VATSIM. VATSIM has a roster of network supervisors who can be summoned to remove those who prefer not to follow realistic procedures, whereas the FSX multiplayer environment was generally a free-for-all.

A few of the ones you saw may have actually been on VATSIM but for the most part my experience on the network has been devoid of that sort of behavior.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted

Airforceproud95 does not fly on VATSIM often, if you have seen his videos.

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief
Vancouver FIR Senior Instructor

Visit us: https://ganderoceanic.ca

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

In between his network bans, probably?

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Mike Berger
Posted
Posted

I've encountered a similar situation, but on Twitch instead of you tube and with controllers instead of pilots. I used to watch vatsim controllers on twitch a lot in order to learn more about specific ATC procedures in certain areas so that I'd be better prepared to fly there. I'm not a pilot, have bad hearing, and old enough to get befuddled easily by anything unexpected from ATC. So, I wanted to be extra prepared and to not be a total annoyance.

In some of the twitch streams I could hear a controller, plus the controller's teamspeak conversations with other controllers or friends in general. In rare cases, it was disturbing to hear what the controllers would say about mediocre pilots. When a struggling pilot was flying it was absolutely professional over the ATC frequency. However, off-frequency, the controllers would sometimes be very disparaging and sometimes brutal in mocking the pilot. the controllers were the super-serious types and frustrated more than anything else.

I've stayed away from vatsim for some time now because of this.

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

I wouldn't say my stream is particularly good, but it's strictly me controlling (no background audio whatsoever). Videos with decent traffic levels are saved. Twitch

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

I am by no means an expert, but I do stream most of my flights on Twitch:

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

VATSIM: P1|C3

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I think you'll find that the vast majority of VATSIM users take their flying seriously enough to not detract from the experience you're looking for. I very rarely encounter "pilots" that are just goofing off. I do tend to only fly in the larger events, though, such as Friday Night Ops, so maybe that makes a difference.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Joseph Jucha 1343412
Posted
Posted

I may be asking for trouble but, As a controller I don't experience many actual trolls. The vast majority of my problem people are simply ignorant. They just don't know how to do something.

And as Mr.Shearman mentions, we have a bit of a 'police' force. There are a number of really good videos on how to fly correctly in vatsim and I encourage you to jump in keeping these things in mind:

1. Know how to fly your plane. As much as I'd like to help, I just can't run it for you.

2.When you file a flight plan, fly it.

3. Call a controller BEFORE you enter the airspace. Most of the time it won't be a big deal, but once in a while you will cause a problem.

4. Listen to the ATIS if available. It will tell you all kinds of neat stuff.

5. Private chat and over the air are two different things.

Other more experienced controllers will add to or detract from my list but the basic idea is to understand what you are doing. Many time we can direct you to HOW to do some paperwork item, but if we are busy don't expect us to drop everything.

Look for a small tower somewhere and open chat and ASK if they have time, if they do, be respectful of the time available and take notes.

tl;dr The trolls are a minimal. Once you know how to fly consider adding the ATC environment to your simulation. You'd be surprised how much there is to learn!

I got to the door!

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

Vatsim at its best is full ATC coverage of at least 2 airports (an entire route) full of traffic.

Future events can be found at the various events forums and calendars, such as

https://www.vatsim.net/events

https://forums.vatusa.net/?action=calendar

https://calendar.vatpac.org/

http://data.vroute.net/rss/events.rdf

I have been able to participate in excess of 2 to 4 events PER WEEK for over 2 years now (prior to that I worked weekends, ew), and have not run into any significant trolling. Mistakes, sure - Both mine and others. But trolling is usually dealt with swiftly enough.

Here's 687 and counting videos of just 1 Australian flying vatsim events on weekends and Monday nights over the last few years, barely a troll to be found.

https://www.youtube.com/user/musicalaviator/videos

youtube.jpg

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

Christopher Flett 1349312
Posted
Posted

Actually AFP95 does a bit of flying on Vatsim and when he does, he doesnt troll.

22.png

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
Actually AFP95 does a bit of flying on Vatsim and when he does, he doesnt troll.

Fair enough. I was basing that tongue-in-cheek comment on something said earlier in the thread. He is the author of a lot of the high-search-return-ranking FSX trolling videos, though -- but I concede that in looking through his channel just now they seem to be confined mostly to the FSX servers like I mentioned before.

Goofing off in your sim is perfectly fine -- just not on VATSIM. VATSTAR's P1 lessons even say as much.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png