You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Best Little W****House in Texas

Randy Tyndall 1087023

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

There's a character in the subject movie who plays the Governor of Texas. In character he sings a song with the words...

"Ooohhh, I love to dance a little sidestep. Now you see me, now you don't. I've come and gone."

Sometimes that's the impression I get here in the VATSIM Forums. I cannot begin to count the number of times I or others have answered a question or tried to help a member with a problem, sometimes posting at length the answer or solution, only to never see the poster return and let us know if the answer or solution worked...or even that they returned to see if someone answer their post. It's frustrating!

Is it the new "mindset" of the "connected" generation? "Great, got my answer, now on to other issues."

And while I'm here, it is equally to frustrating to see...

"My plane doesn't work with VATSIM."

...or any other number of problems and that is all you get! No operating system, no client, no platform, no nothing. Just "Help". How can you help that type of post? There are at least 4 or 5 operating systems involved today, 9 or so platforms counting FS2004, FSX, XP9/10/11, and P3D1/2/3/4 including all it's "sub-versions", three clients that I'm aware of; FSinn, SB, and vPilot.

Now I'm no good at math, but seems to me that's 45 different possible combinations of set ups with each combination presenting it's own unique solution. How in the world can you begin to help when you don't even know the existing conditions? Oh, you are using the B737? Which one? There's only 15 or 20, if not more, different B737 aircraft that work in the various simulators! Probably a lot more when it comes to the B737 and other popular design series.

Ye Gods, help us help you. Be as specific as you can when posting a "help" question here. Give us as much info as you can and you would be surprised at how quickly issues can be solved. If you've experienced it I can almost guarantee others here have as well. The knowledge base at VATSIM is phenomenal, but only valuable if you tell us EXACTLY what the issue is and the components involved.

And please! Come back and let us know when something works, when it doesn't, and when there's more at issue.

It's only common courtesy, something that is sometimes sadly lacking in this and other fourms.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Where's the Like button? Thanks, Randy!

(PS, the only time I like the "I have a problem" support requests with no other information is when I'm getting paid by the hour.... Not so much when I'm volunteering my very limited hobby time. )

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Great post, Randy! :D

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Good way of thinking Andreas and sound wisdom. Still...common courtesy.

But you are right.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

I agree. Courtesy seems to get forgotten sometimes on the internet. But then again, I try to enjoy and remember those who are thankful and polite and forget those who are not. It can be hard, at times.

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Me Likey!!

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1