You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Radar Error

Emil Richterhausen 1404105

Emil Richterhausen 1404105
Posted
Posted

Hey guys my radar is just showing this https://gyazo.com/9965aed9367fe09f8c9ff54acf963887 So i cant use my flight plan and i basicly can't do anything with the radar Please help im a bit new to this

And im using the Zibo and FMOD

Morten Jelle
Posted
Posted

I don't know these addons, but you likely didn't align your IRS'es. In an Airbus, they are sitting in the top left overhead panel. They need to be set to "NAV", and then you align them, using the FMC.

Morten Jelle

VATSIM Network Supervisor, Team Lead - Supervisor Team 1

spacer.png

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

That's not a Radar. That's the Inertial Reference system derived Artificial Horizon and Horizontal Situation (sometimes called "Navigation") display.

A radar transmits an electromagnetic (usually microwaves) signal out from a transmitter, and uses a collector dish to receive and measure reflections of that radio signal off reflective surfaces such as rain, mountains, non-stealth aircraft, etc. Using various filters, it can then be used to see various things of interest, such as rain, terrain, other aircraft etc.

An Inertial Reference system spins up a gyroscope then measures all momentum. It requires several minutes to stabilize and normalize in reference to the spin of the planet. It is then able to measure any acceleration forces (acceleration, braking, turning, bouncing around in turbulence, wind etc) and apply this information to a known reference position (ie the location you were at when the IRS was turned on).

Typically an IRS will take at least 5 minutes to spin up and stabilize, and depending on your latitude it will take a further 2 to 5 minutes to account for the earth's rotation, for a total of 7 to 10 minutes from "Switched both of the systems on" to "It's ready to move". If the aircraft is moved before it is aligned, the IRS will usually fail to find it's exact location, and will only be able to attain "Attitude" mode, which will give the horizon information, but not navigation information, leaving the plane's FMS unable to do anything other than tune VOR's.

The IRS switches are located on the rear overhead.

irs.jpg

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015