You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

aircraft_info.dat update?

Chris Carstens

Chris Carstens
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I just spent some time trying to update this file in the hopes of getting the newer heavy aircraft codes (B77W, B77L, B748, B788, B789, B78X, A339, A359, A35K, I think that's all of them for now) to actually display as heavy on the scope. Unfortunately the changes did not seem to stick upon reload, nor does adding the H/ prefix to the aircraft type seem to help. Is there some way to fix this that I'm not seeing? If not, can we get an update at some point? And if so, would it be possible to add support for the super/jumbo cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]?

Thanks,

Chris

Bradley Grafelman
Posted
Posted

Do you get an error upon loading VRC about a "version check" failing? Here's some info Ross gave back in 2011 (here):

I just took a closer look at the VRC source code, and if the version check fails, this can also cause the aircraft_info.dat file load to be skipped over. The reason is because part of the version check also checks the version of the aircraft_info.dat file to see if there is an updated version, in which case VRC downloads the latest aircraft_info.dat. Since your VRC is evidently begin blocked from accessing the web, then the version check is failing, and this is causing the aircraft_info.dat file load to be skipped over. (The logic is a bit convoluted, but that's what is most likely happening.)

EDIT: I just verified that edits to that file seem to work for me. Started with an original .dat file that didn't contain B77W, .acinfo returned an error. Closed VRC, added a line for B77W, re-opened VRC, and the .acinfo worked.

Chris Carstens
Posted
Posted

Ah, nevermind. I was using Excel and it was saving as aircraft.dat.txt. Better to just open the .dat in notepad and edit there...

Thanks for checking!